SOLVED

Re: Is it possible to track individuals who have clicked on embedded Youtube video?

Go to solution
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Is it possible to track individuals who have clicked on embedded Youtube video?

Hello,

we have just subscribed to the social media add-on and I'm testing the youtube embedding feature. I can see the results in the dashboard and I would like to report on the leads who have clicked on video. I can find in filters how to report on people who have answered a poll or shared video link but not on people who have watched video...How do I do that? Should I say : clicked/visited landing page where videos is embedded?

Cécile @ Talend

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Is it possible to track individuals who have clicked on embedded Youtube video?

Hey Meredith, it's probably best to only ask a question on one thread (otherwise we all jump around trying to copy the answer into each place).  We can always see the latest comment in the Community dashboard/inbox.

Anyway, here's how to track YouTube events with Marketo, including checkpoints like "watched for 30 seconds," etc.

Re: How do you create a Munchkin API call to track video plays? 

Re: Trying to Track Clicks on a Marketo Landing Page

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can with Munchkin API. Look at this article: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kyr7CAC

I use difined a javascript function in the templates, called "selectVideo". On the embedded video I add "onclick="selectVideo();". I'm using this code for the function: mktoMunchkinFunction('clickLink', { href: '/VideoName'}); Where VideName is the name of the video.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Cecile, 

I don't know if there's any way to do this out of the box. 

For YouTube video tracking, Eric Hollebone's USED to have a really helpful guide on how to enable this. Essentially you use javascript to fire virtual events when a lead interacts with your video. Unfortunately his guide is no longer available it seems 😞

Here at ClearFit we host videos with Vidyard which has a sweet Marketo integration. All your video activity (video start, % watched, video complete) is sent into a lead's activity record so you can segment, score, and trigger workflows based on that data. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a cache of Eric's code: https://web.archive.org/web/20130629123709/http://test.hollebone.ca/marketo-munchkin-event-tracking/ (hint: all of the other stuff is there too 🙂

We use Wistia which lets us know when someone clicks on the video. We also have integration with their "Turnstile" feature, which creates a lead via the API when someone gives their email address.
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

we are using Vimeo. If we can have same benefits as Wistia or Vidyard, I'm interested!
Anonymous
Not applicable

On a separate note, we moved away from Vimeo, and I highly recommend either of those other providers (Wistia/Vidyard)
Anonymous
Not applicable

I demo'd Wistia some years ago and even then it was a great platform with a really nice team. I found it to be a really appealing option for mananging longer form video content like educational resources. I can only imagine it has matured and improved even more in the meantime. 

Vidyard has a lot of strong marketing-specific features which I haven't seen elsewhere, such as the ability to trigger calls-to-action during or at the end of a video, to "gate" your video content to request an email address, to split test thumbnails, and so on.

Similar to the Wistia feature Jason mentioned, you can embed Marketo forms in a Vidyard call to action and synch leads captured from the video. 

No matter which option you choose, I really second the push to get more video analytics into your marketing automation system. It has been really useful having video activity in our activity logs and also being able to push this data to sales as interesting moments. 

Here's some screen shots from our instance. 

Activity Log

0EM50000000RQdy.jpg

Sales Insight
0EM50000000RQe3.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eric's instructions a from a while ago. Event tracking is posisble now. The documentation is in the link I provided in my earlier comment (https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kyr7CAC). It's just adding a small line of code to the iFrame of your embedded video. However it doesn't track how much of the video you watched, like Justin shows with VidYard.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all,

In  the transfer to this wonderful new community platform ( 😞 ) the link in the string above was lost. Looks exactly like what I am looking for.

https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000Kyr7CAC

Any new insights on how to track embedded youtube video views on a marketing landing page?

Thanks,

RM

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Hey Meredith, it's probably best to only ask a question on one thread (otherwise we all jump around trying to copy the answer into each place).  We can always see the latest comment in the Community dashboard/inbox.

Anyway, here's how to track YouTube events with Marketo, including checkpoints like "watched for 30 seconds," etc.

Re: How do you create a Munchkin API call to track video plays? 

Re: Trying to Track Clicks on a Marketo Landing Page