Re: Is it possible to create a flow where the 2nd email is dependent on whether the 1st email was read?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible to create a flow where the 2nd email is dependent on whether the 1st email was read?

I'm trying to create a campaign with the objective of uncovering why an action doesn't lead to an expected result.

Right now my email just sends an email when the event occurs.

I'd like to be able to send a follow up email the next day if (and only if) the first email wasn't opened.

Is it possible to trigger the next step in a flow off of email stats such as opened, clicked, etc.?

5 REPLIES 5
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Is it possible to create a flow where the 2nd email is dependent on whether the 1st email was read?

pastedImage_0.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I'll try that out.

Ashley_White1
Level 2

Nik, if you are using a nurture stream, you can also build a program such as the screenshot above and pull that into your nurture stream. It would fulfill the same purpose. Just me mindful of the cadence and wait step if you will be putting it into a stream.

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Nik,

I agree with Jay. However, I want to add the caution that opens are not a reliable metric. If someone is using preview panes and scrolls past the email, that counts as an open. If someone receives a plain text email or has images turned off, if she opens your email it won't get counted.

So using this approach means there would be people who didn't actually open your email who wouldn't get the follow-up - and people who did open it who would get the follow-up.

Clicks aren't a perfect metric either because of anti-spam bots but they are a more reliable measure than opens.You might want to consider swapping out "Not opened email" with "Not clicked link in email."

Denise

Rachit_Puri2
Level 7

+1 to Denise's response.

Opened email is not a reliable metrics since many email protection apps and anti-virus applications scan the emails, causing them to be marked as open for the person. To be safe, create a smart list that has the following logic:

1. Not Opened Email X

2. Opened Email X

3. Clicked any link in the email X, and user agent include Windows NT, bingbot, yahoo link preview, Amazon.

Use logic 1 or (2 and 3).

This would give the list of leads who may not have engaged with your email. Use this smart list in the choices for your 2nd email send flow step.