SOLVED

Is it legal to send an "please update your information" email to unsubscribed customers?

Go to solution
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Is it legal to send an "please update your information" email to unsubscribed customers?

Hello All!

Question:

Is it legal to send an "please update your information" email to unsubscribed customers (Both Canadians and Americans)?  I would make it an operational email in marketo.  In other words what qualifies as an operational email when emailing to Canadians and/or Americans?

Thanks ahead of time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Is it legal to send an "please update your information" email to unsubscribed customers?

Are they paying customers/active users of a product? If they are, then you have a business relationship with them and you're allowed to email them information that relates to their product.

What are you going to be doing with the updated information? If they've unsubscribed I would say it should only relate to the continued use of a product.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Is it legal to send an "please update your information" email to unsubscribed customers?

Are they paying customers/active users of a product? If they are, then you have a business relationship with them and you're allowed to email them information that relates to their product.

What are you going to be doing with the updated information? If they've unsubscribed I would say it should only relate to the continued use of a product.

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Thanks Dory,

I figured this was the case.  We do have an existing business relationship.  This group of people just recently merged with another company (but still are existing customers) and we are looking to send them (both contacts that are not unsubscribed and contacts that are) an email to update their contact information so we can keep in contact.  Obviously we would continue to honor their unsubscribe to our marketing emails.  I figured this would classify as a non-marketing/non-commercial email.