IP Address

mhardy
Level 2

IP Address

When sending an email in Marketo how does it pick your IP address? if we did not whitelist our IP, are we using a shared IP?  

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: IP Address

When sending an email in Marketo how does it pick your IP address? if we did not whitelist our IP, are we using a shared IP?  

If you have a shared instance (this doesn’t have to do with “whitelisting” or not), then you’re using the shared IP/s of that instance.

If you added a dedicated IP to your subscription, then you’re using that.

mhardy
Level 2

How do you find out which one you do have? If you have a dedicated IP where would you find that out?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

How do you find out which one you do have? If you have a dedicated IP where would you find that out?

You can look at the headers of an incoming message. If you have a dedicated IP address you also likely have a custom envelope sender address. That is, not {instance info}.mktomail.com but {custom subdomain}.example.com where example.com is your corporate domain.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

I'm quite interested in WHY it matters to you?

Is it because your emails are getting caught in a spam trap?

mhardy
Level 2

Yes, I believe we may be getting caught in a spam trap. We haven't changed anything nor have added anyone to our database. I am just trying to understand what might have happened.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

So you think you are getting caught in your own spam trap?  A client's spam trap? or one of the big email providers (e.g. gmail, yahoo, outlook)