SOLVED

Re: Inferred Data - How and When is it captured?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inferred Data - How and When is it captured?

We are seeing inferred data populate sometimes and sometimes not via the Web Service API. I've heard that inferred data populates on the second page hit? Is this true? If no inferred data is being populated does that mean that my leads are converting on their first visit? Is there any change we can make to settings so that inferred data is captured all the time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Shirleen,

Inferred data is captured the first time a lead encounters a munchkin tracked page.  This data is currently saved in an anonymous record in your database, and when the lead becomes known that information is placed in the known record as well.  This process depends on the lead using the same browser, and therefore having the same cookie throughout.

If leads are being created through the api, and are not getting associated with the previously tracked anonymous record through the cookie in their browser, then some records may not have inferred data upon becoming known.  You'll want to be sure whoever set up your api calls is using the associateLead call.

John

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Shirleen,

Inferred data is captured the first time a lead encounters a munchkin tracked page.  This data is currently saved in an anonymous record in your database, and when the lead becomes known that information is placed in the known record as well.  This process depends on the lead using the same browser, and therefore having the same cookie throughout.

If leads are being created through the api, and are not getting associated with the previously tracked anonymous record through the cookie in their browser, then some records may not have inferred data upon becoming known.  You'll want to be sure whoever set up your api calls is using the associateLead call.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi John,

Thanks for that explanation. I'll double check with my web developer to make sure she is using that associateLead call.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi John -

My web developer confirmed we use SyncLead API call for everything. Does that have the same function as the AssociateLead API call you suggested? Or could this be why a lead is not being associated with the anonymous record?

Namita_Parikh
Level 2

We have a similar question - we are using REST API to capture data with munchkin tracking on those pages. Currently we are using the create/update lead call. If we switch to the associate lead call, will it still create new leads? Or could we use both call types?

Any ideas, Sanford Whiteman​?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Why would you expose your REST API call limit to abuse by malicious web users? There's basically never a reason to have every form post result in a REST API call. 

If you switch to Munchkin associateLead, yes, it will both create and update leads.

Namita_Parikh
Level 2

Thanks Sanford. We've been OK limit wise, but do you have any other recommendations for capturing data from an external form? Currently, switching to or embedding a Marketo form isn't an option, so we're using REST. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Best practice is to use either a visible Marketo form or use the Forms 2.0 API to submit data from a 3rd-party form.

Namita_Parikh
Level 2

Thanks Sanford. I'll see if either of those would be viable options.

MaenHadid
Level 2

Hi @SanfordWhiteman 

How do we use Forms 2.0 API to submit data from a 3rd-party form? Would using Zapier to collect Gravity Form submission and pass them to Marketo count?