Re: Infer City, State and Country coming up as unknown.

Callum_Pirie
Level 3

Infer City, State and Country coming up as unknown.

Hi there,

We are having more and more leads coming up as 'Unknown' for inferred city, state and country.

I believe Marketo has moved to a new 3rd party provider regarding inferred country however we are finding more sales reps not being able to use their time effectively to actually target customers due to timezones.

While I understand that inferred city is marketo's best guess at the users location we are finding this has happened more and more this month. For example I created a smart list for all the Inferred City populating as ‘Unknown’ for this month which is currently at 397 leads - Last month there were only 12 leads not populating correctly and the full year was 464 so 84.5% of the Inferred data not populating has happened this month.

Any help would be massive.

15 REPLIES 15
Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Callum Pirie Do you work in EU region majorly? Have you implemented something for GDPR on your website? If yes, my guess is that it's blocking Marketo to capture the IP addresses. Just check once if you have the IP address available for these leads without inferred information.

Callum_Pirie
Level 3

Hi Amit,

We are based in Dublin but our core markets are UK, Ireland, USA, Canada and Australia. Majority of the issues are worldwide but the countries/areas I'd like to ideally fix are the USA and Canada due to multiple timezones.

As far as I know we haven't implemented anything regarding GDPR on the website other than updating the terms and conditions.

I found a lead with Inferred data as unknown, saw the Anonymous IP address, did an IP lookup and it's based in Leicester however that information is not coming across to Marketo.

Amit_Jain

hmm interesting. Leicester is in England which is a GDPR protected region. I'm just guessing that Marketo or the third party is not sharing the data because of GDPR regulations. Better to check once with Marketo support as well.

In the meantime, can you share your website link? Or any link that these people are visiting?

Regards,

Amit

Callum_Pirie
Level 3

Yes, it seems to be very odd and sporadic, happening in a lot of countries across the world its just the countries like Canada im worried about due to the reps trying to contact them but with multiple timezones in the country it can be hard.

I spoke with Marketo but their senior tech support couldn't sort it.

Callum_Pirie
Level 3

Sorry here is a link 

Professional Diploma in Digital Marketing | Study Online | Enrolling Now 

if you click on a CTA button (Download Brochure) these are the forms that have inferred fields hidden.

Amit_Jain

After GDPR, browsers has also updated the security settings and block some specific scripts to track the IPs etc.  See below screenshot:

pastedImage_1.png

Callum_Pirie
Level 3

interesting! doesnt explain why non GDPR countries are still getting the issue. However thank you for helping Amit.

Steven_Vanderb3
Marketo Employee

It wouldn't impact only GDPR locations in this scenario.  All browsers are updating to protect user privacy more and more.

Phil_Gamache
Level 2

Callum Pirie‌ we're also having this issue in our instance. Huge amount of unknown countries starting around mid September. Did you ever find a fix for this? Marketo Support has been unable to help us either.