Indentify leads who didn't accept cookies

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Indentify leads who didn't accept cookies

Hello,

We are collecting UTM parameters through cookies.

I’d like to know if there is a way to identify in Marketo people created from a Marketo form who didn’t accept cookies?

Do you think these filters are correct for that purpose?

Vincent_Ferugl1_0-1657201156941.png

Thank you.

Vincent

5 REPLIES 5
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Indentify leads who didn't accept cookies

Well, you can also check if the hidden fields are populated as empty/default values set at the form level or not for the people created via form fills. As long as the cookies are allowed and properly set, IMO hidden fields on the form should get populated/updated with the respective cookie parameter value. People with default/empty values for the hidden fields would have either rejected the cookies, or the hidden fields didn't update on form submission even though they accepeted the cookies (chances of this are slim given that form and code to create cookies is set properly). You may already know this but just fyr - the initial field set in the form of CDV activity for the new people created in Marketo is not logged. CDV activities are only logged for existing people in Marketo when their field value changes.

Also, if the field updates on any of the hidden fields used on the form are blocked than you would not see the CDV for the respective field update upon form submission for the existing people already having non-empty content in the field. 

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Hi @Darshil_Shah1,

Thank you for your suggestion.

We also check the leads without the hidden UTM fields not populated to identify people who didn’t accept cookies. However, we have currently an issue to collect the UTM in some scenarios. The hidden UTM fields are not blocked from updates and we don’t use a CDV trigger (thanks for the reminder).

When we test on a page with UTM parameters and we accept the cookies, we see that the UTM are collected in the cookies but after, the cookies are not transferred into Marketo in some scenarios.

With Marketo Support, we identified that the UTM are not collected when the lead is not known by Marketo or when the page is not refreshed before submitting the form. Marketo Support said it’s due that the form is loaded on the page before the website cookies and because of that the hidden fields cannot collect the cookies.

However, according to the website team, the datalayer shows that the script runs before the loading of Marketo forms.

We’ll review the script to populate the UTM in the cookies but it doesn’t seem to be the cause.

Have you already experienced a such scenario?

I can share with you in private message a webpage if you want.

Thank you.

Regards,

Vincent

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Thanks for the background Vincent, it's very helpful!

Well, JS is single threaded and hence cookies are set synchronously which means all the other code on the webpage will wait for the cookies to be first set. I think a link to one of your sample page with the form and UTM cookie code would help us dig deeper.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You have the right idea here, Vincent! But the Not Visited Web Page should also be constrained by Today.

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Hello @SanfordWhiteman,

Thank you for your confirmation!

I thought it was not necessary to put this constraint because I have already it in the first filter and it's "today" not in past several days. I suppose it's in case of leads with anonymous webpages activities before today and who didn't accept the cookies the day when they submitted the form.

I'll add this constraint.

BR,

Vincent