SOLVED

Re: Importing Untrusted List does not create new leads?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing Untrusted List does not create new leads?

We will be at a tradeshow next week and will import our list of booth visitors after the end of each day to send a follow up email. 

Can someone confirm that if I import the list as untrusted and with Normal default status, and there are new leads in there, that those new leads will remain in Marketo only, and not sync over to SFDC and create new leads in SFDC? We want to keep them in Marketo only first. 

Is this possible also using the 'trusted' source? I did already block field updates to the First and Last Name fields, so we will only be uploading email addresses. 

I am always nervous and unclear about how to correctly import an untrusted list in Marketo. 

Thanks,
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grant_Booth
Level 10

The "untrusted" v. "trusted" distinction, as far as I know, really only exists for the purpose of blocking field updates. The idea is that you can choose to block updates to certain fields for an "untrusted" source but allow it for a "trusted" source. Like Josh said though, it doesn't relate to the sync at all. If the lead qualifies for a campaign which says to sync to salesforce, they're going to do so whether the list import was marked as trusted or untrusted.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

• importing a list has nothing to do with the sync. Your lifecycle or MQL flows control the sync. Also, if you synced a Program to an SFDC Campaign, the lead will sync no matter what.
  • Trusted allows the existing values to be overwritten if the field is not blocked.
  • Uploading an email address will NOT change the email address - marketo matches on this value.
  • Untrusted list will NOT overwrite existing values but should create new records. Why do you not trust this list?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
Please apologize a Marketo novice's follow up question on this:

Using an untrusted list, will existing leads still be associated with the imported list?

Thanks,

Grant_Booth
Level 10

Yes. If Marketo sees that email address already in the database, it updates that record and associates them with the list. It doesn't matter if it's a trusted or untrusted list import.

Grant_Booth
Level 10

The "untrusted" v. "trusted" distinction, as far as I know, really only exists for the purpose of blocking field updates. The idea is that you can choose to block updates to certain fields for an "untrusted" source but allow it for a "trusted" source. Like Josh said though, it doesn't relate to the sync at all. If the lead qualifies for a campaign which says to sync to salesforce, they're going to do so whether the list import was marked as trusted or untrusted.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Grant and Josh! I guess just hearing that leads imported will only sync to SFDC if there is a sync to SFDC flow step in the campaign. That makes sense to me. 

I already blocked the fields we do not want updated if a record already exists for that field. 

Josh to answer your question - I don't trust the tradeshow lists because we won't know if some leads exist or do not exist in our database already. Personally I only trust lists that are exported from my CRM or from Marketo since that is the information that is constantly being updated with the SFDC-Marketo integration.