Importing to a List - Does Marekto Truely Dedupe?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Importing to a List - Does Marekto Truely Dedupe?

I recently set up a small Nurture Campaign for our sales team where to be added to the stream you must be added to a specific list.  To kick off the Nurture Camaign I had them give me lists of people they wanted to have added.  I compiled them all into a list and imported..Assuming Marketo would automatically dedupe based on emails like any automation engine would.

However, what I discovered was that while Marketo did not create two records for the people who were on the list twice, they did get added to the list twice! Is this supposed to happen?

It resulted in the people who were on the list twice sneaking by a two week wait step rule and going directly to the second campaign because on on the Master for the campaign that lead was already part of the Campaign for Email 1 thus the Master sent them to the Campaign for Email 2.

I will definitely make sure to manually dedupe going forward but would love an explanation as to why two emails can get added to the same list.

Thanks,

Patrick
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Importing to a List - Does Marekto Truely Dedupe?

That's interesting, because I would have also assumed that could not happen. Ask Support because it sounds like something weird occurred.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen this happen--it was a while ago, but if I recall, it happened because a lead was created first in Salesforce and converted to a contact--before it was imported into Marketo. 

Reimporting into Marketo will create a new "lead", but the saleforce.com contact exists within Marketo as well--both with the same email address.

I don't know if there's any good way to avoid this from happening--we eventually created workflows where all leads were processed through Marketo first, then synced to Salesforce (rather than vice versa).  Because the problem only occured on leads created in salesforce, it became less of an issue over time.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Steve,

We currently have the On-premise version of Dynamics and don't have Marketo synced to our CRM...Whole other story.  But I can say that is definitely not the reason for this taking place.

Josh,

I will take your advice and put in a ticket with them to see why the same lead can be added to a list twice.

Thanks,

Patrick