Re: Importing mailing list from Salesforce to Marketo

taumueller
Level 2

Importing mailing list from Salesforce to Marketo

Hello, 

I have found documentation on how to import a csv from Salesforce into Marketo. However, the process seems to be more manual with pulling the csv file and then grabbing it and placing it into the mailing list in Marketo. Am I missing something or is this the only way to get email addresses from Salesforce imported into Marketo?

Thank you,

Traci 

6 REPLIES 6
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Are you able to share the documentation you're referring to? Also, don't you have your SFDC integrated with Marketo? With the native sync enabled, new people created in CRM that the Marketo sync user can see get automatically created as person records in Marketo.

taumueller
Level 2

This is the documentation I located: 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/getting-started-with-marketo/quick-wins/import...

We are trying to pick up the pieces based on other work someone was doing. It appears they did connect the sync, however when I look at it the leads and contacts appear disabled under the Salesforce Objects Sync area. Maybe once we get the enabled it will work in a more automated fashion?

Darshil_Shah1

Yes- importing people in Marketo may not be the best idea in the long run, especially if you plan on enabling the native SFDC sync. Once you enable the SFDC sync you’ll have un-connected records in both platforms. The unsynced records in SFDC would sync over to Marketo, and Marketo doesn’t de-duplicate records getting created from SFDC, so you’d have duplicate records in Marketo. So long story short, you should re-enable the sync so records in SFDC automatically get synced as person records in Marketo.

Chelsea_Stinnet
Level 3

Hi Traci,

There are several steps that need to be taken to ensure your Marketo instance is successfully synced to Salesforce. Once your sync is established, any record the Marketo User has access to in Salesforce will automatically sync. The access is set in the User Profile permissions that must be configured by a SFDC Admin. You'll want to make sure that the Sync User Profile has Read, Create, and Edit access on Leads and Read and Edit access on Contacts. There should also be Read access for Account, Opportunity, and Campaign objects as well, although this may vary depending on your business requirements. Once the object permissions are set, your SFDC Admin will also need to enable field level permissions. Permission decisions are extremely important to how Marketo will operate in your overall business functions, so I suggest a high level of detail and collaboration on what the Sync User has access to. Here is some documentations that should be helpful for you:

Step 1 of 3: Add Marketo Fields to Salesforce (Enterprise/Unlimited) 

Step 2 of 3: Create a Salesforce User for Marketo (Enterprise/Unlimited) 

Step 3 of 3: Connect Marketo and Salesforce (Enterprise/Unlimited) 

taumueller
Level 2

So we’d simply import all Contacts as people in Marketo along with a bunch of custom fields, and then they could use that data within Marketo to build a smart list to create the audiences?

So if we have 8 checkboxes in Salesforce of the various mailing lists we’d want people to be invited to, we could include those on the import and that’s all we’d need to import from Salesforce?

Darshil_Shah1

If these are new records in both systems, i.e., in Marketo and SFDC, then you can import them in either system and sync them to the other system. If you import records in Marketo, you'd have to use the Sync to SFDC flow step to sync these people to SFDC, as unlike for records in SFDC, Marketo-only records don't get created as new records in SFDC. Needless to say, records in SFDC automatically get created as new person records in Marketo given that the sync user has access to them. If these records are already in SFDC, but not in Marketo, I'd not advise you to import records in Marketo as those will not get linked with the corresponding records with the same email address in SFDC (as explained in my previous comment). Once records are in Marketo, you can of course built Smart List and expect those people to appear in it if they qualify for it.