Re: Import duplicated some records instead of matching

Jennifer_Borell
Level 2

Import duplicated some records instead of matching

Hi - I did an import of a list of email addresses that I cleaned for email deliverability (using NetProspex Workbench).  These were exact records that already existed in our Marketo instance, I basically exported them from Marketo, cleaned in Workbench and then did an import back to Marketo with the Email deliverability dispositions.  Some of the records created duplicates maybe 1/10th of the list and created new leads with only email and the 4 deliverability fields.  Those exact emails are in Marketo..any idea why that would happen and it wouldn't find the match?  I want to do another clean and am afraid I'll end up with a big cleanup again.

Jen

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Jennifer,

This really should not happen. Have you contacted support ?

Do a quick check: do these leads appear in the "Possible duplicates" smart list ?

One possibility: deduplicate on email is the Marketo standard behavior, but this is a setting that can be modified. If this is so in your instance, support should know and would be able to tell you which other field you should include in your export/import to avoid creating duplicates.

-Greg

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

I'm not familiar with the tool - but is it transmitting the lead data over the Internet using an API or are you saving the records to a file and then using the "import list" feature?

If the former, it is expected behaviour to create a duplicate record unless the API call is deliberately setup to "dedupe" on the email field (or another field).

Jennifer_Borell
Level 2

I'm using the list import - csv files back and forth.  Not API in this case.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I wonder if your CSV had errors in it or if you are using Workspaces and Partitions.

i would check with support and give them the direct links to the List and to the dupes.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Nicholas,

The 2 possibilities are available. When you use the native "Import file" feature with a CSV file, it will deduplicate. If you use the API, you can also send a file and Marketo will behave as if you had launched the import manually.

But is you use the API to import leads separately, then some options will have to be managed by the developper to avoid duplicate creation.

-Greg