Identifying Email Sources for Form Fills

Karthick77
Level 3

Identifying Email Sources for Form Fills

I've sent three invitation emails to leads and need to track which email they came from when they filled out the form. Even though all emails have the same tracking parameters and we haven't excluded those who already registered for the event in later invites, I'm looking for other ways to figure out which email led to the form fills. Since we can't rely on parameters and exclusion alone, I'm seeking alternative methods to identify the source of form fills.

#analytics #email #utmparameter

Karthcik R
5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Identifying Email Sources for Form Fills

Well, not using different tracking params was a mistake. It’s hard to make up for things like that after the fact.

The mkt_tok is unique to an email send and will be included in the form fill details. This will require some API work to extract correctly. Otherwise, you can check for Click Email in close proximity to the Filled Out Form.

Karthick77
Level 3

How can I use the "mkt_tok" parameter to find out which email led a lead to fill out a form?

Could you please explain more about the setup?

Karthcik R
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

You should have used different tracking parameters to track the source of form fills, as that’s the main reason we include the UTMs; if UTMs are the same across different assets, then it’s as good as not including them (at least from the perspective of not being able to distinguish interactions distinctly from the emails).

Assuming that all the CTAs in your 3 emails went to the same page (i.e., to the same URL) and the UTMs were also the same, I’m afraid you would have to go through the route of looking at the Click activities just before the form fill activity (export activities using Bulk extract APIs). You might find multiple click activities near to the form fill activity, but that shouldn’t be too many, so you can at least get an holistic view of form fills from each email. Also, I’d also like to highlight the potential of a click activity  from a bot (and possibly a subsequent visit webpage activity too, as a sophisticated bot can follow through the CTA and log a munchkin hit too); however, a click, visit, and a form fill activity in proximity would most likely be from a real person.

You might miss attributing form fill activities where the person filled out form a little later after clicking the email, e.g., they might have navigated away for a while, came back, and then filled out the form. However, if you don’t have your other emails (other than these 3) pointing to this webpage (or at least with the same UTMs), you can still look for the last email that had a click activity given that the UTMs in form fill activity and the ones that you have in your emails’ CTA match.

Edit- Sandy was quicker than me to post an answer, but I’m glad we think alike overall regarding the activities’ proximity solution. 😊 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Edit- Sandy was quicker than me to post an answer, but I’m glad we think alike overall regarding the activities’ proximity solution. 😊 

Yep! Although once you’re using the API, you can get a direct relationship between click → form fill by extracting the mkt_tok field, then passing that mkt_tok to an LP to get the lead ID (which could be automated).

Karthick77
Level 3

How can I practically implement the analysis of click activities just before form-fill events using Bulk extract APIs to track the sequence of clicks leading to form-fills? What steps are involved in extracting this data through APIs?

Karthcik R