Re: Identify if a new lead is a client account

Anonymous
Not applicable

Identify if a new lead is a client account

Hello,

When a new lead have been created in Marketo, are there any way to identify that it's from a client account? We don't want to send Sales alerts if they are already a client.

I know that in Marketo every record is created as a lead so wondered if anyone has found a way around it.

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this is possible out of the box.  Do you use a CRM?

Anonymous
Not applicable

We use Microsoft Dynamics

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It takes some work, depending on the existing setup:

• Client Domain List can help -> if email is in smart list, then prob client, so flag to Sales or change record type.
  • CRM has a check box or Record Type ID can be a part of this.
  • Sales reps can do it for you.
  • Restricted Form - customers only would fill this out.
  • buy a matching tool.
Justin_Norris1

Sijia Perry

Assuming you use SFDC, you would need to first sync them to SFDC and then determine whether they actually belong to an existing client account.

You can write your own trigger for this based on a match between email domain and account website. If you need more powerful fuzzy logic then Lean Data is a good option for this.

Then once the match has been made you can evaluate the Account Type field and suppress leads matched to client accounts.

Logistically, this means you need to control when the alert goes out and wait for the round trip from SFDC.

Dan_Stevens_

Can I ask why you wouldn't want to send Sales an alert - even though they're an existing client?  In our organization, we primarily market and sell to existing clients (we've built a lead lifecycle to allow users to return to any stage of the lifecycle and be processed as a lead again (e.g., for a new opportunity).  Since our alerts our super detailed, this is one of the added-values that Marketing brings to Sales.

pastedImage_1.png

Justin_Norris1

That's one serious alert Dan. Nice stuff.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great step by step alert, it's giving me some inspiration on upgrading our alerts. When it's a client account the lead doesn't go to sales but go to the Accounts team which they upsell. So I'm looking for a solution where I can split the alerts depending on the account type.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like the easiest method is to create a restricted form so the lead can identify if they are a client as suggested by Josh. Thank you everyone for your input.

Dan_Stevens_

We do that today on our contact-us form - and is the basis to how we initially route inquiries.  Of course, there are other ways a lead can become marketing-qualified (e.g., hitting a lead score threshold; fast-tracked at an event, etc.):

pastedImage_0.png