I set up tokens at the folder level, and now can't clone the folder - should I set tokens up at the program level?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I set up tokens at the folder level, and now can't clone the folder - should I set tokens up at the program level?

I had my first succesful program - yay! I went in to clone the whole folder today - it has several programs including a white paper and a webinar. But when I learned that you can't clone folders!

I'd set up tokens at the folder level so that each program - email, webinar, nurture - could inherit the same tokens. 

Was that the wrong thing to do? Was I supposed to set up tokens at the program level?

That seems strange - then I have to duplicate tokens across the folder at each program. 

Going to be cloning each program one-by-one now, and recreating the tokens at each program - unless you have a better suggestion!

Thanks!
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Re: I set up tokens at the folder level, and now can't clone the folder - should I set tokens up at the program level?

Hi Christine, I think this Marketo article will be helpful to you: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoTutorial?id=kA250000000KyptCAC
Scott_McKeighe2
Level 5

Re: I set up tokens at the folder level, and now can't clone the folder - should I set tokens up at the program level?

Hey Christine,

It's really up to you how you set up your tokenizing scheme.

I find setting folder-level tokens to be tremendously handy for the exact reasons you outlined - children of the folder inherit the parent tokens. 

My suggestion would be to put your folder in a parent folder underneath Marketing Activities. It can be something as simple as a calendar year, or something more specific like "Ongoing Programs," or "Webinars." Set your tokens up in there, and everything below that folder will inherit the tokens and their values. 

Hope that helps! Good luck.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Christine >

There are really two distinct purposes of folder vs program tokens. And you've already caught on. Things you want to inhert to all programs, you add at the folder level. Those things you want to be only a part of a certain type of program, you want only at a sub-folder level. And those you want to be specific to a single program, you add just at the program.

Folder Tokens - Sender Name/Email, Campaign ID
Sub-Folder Tokens - Webinar or Event tokens that are similar from webinar to webinar
Program - Program only tokens, such as event date or address

So really all are acceptable. Just depends on how and where you want to manage the information. The real utility of Folder tokens is to change it in one place & have massive effects throughout your programs. So I said the example of Sender Name/Email. At my last company a marketing manager owned a region. When that person left, we'd have to go into every program in that region and switch it over to a new name. AGH! That was awful. So instead we just put a folder token into every email, and then if someone left, in one place, we changed it out everywhere.

Make a bit more sense?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm still unclear tho - I can't clone an existing folder with all of its tokens? I'd set up an entire marketing activity in one folder that I'd hoped I can easily replicate. 

But it looks like I have to create a new folder.
Clone each program within that folder.
Then recreate the tokens at each program.

Is that right?
Scott_McKeighe2
Level 5

So long as the parent folder has the tokens you want, anything you create in that folder will inherit the tokens. 
  1. Under Marketing Activities, create the parent folder.
  2. Inside that parent folder, create a child folder that contains your programs (webinars, white papers, etc.). 
  3. Set up tokens however you wish at the parent folder.
  4. Your child folder will inherit those tokens and their default values. On the "My Tokens" tab for your folder, you'll see a subset of tokens labeled "Inherited."

Important note: if you want to change those default, inherited values, you can do so at the level of the child folder, or the program itself. This gives you maximum control over the tokens' values.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still unclear on one thing - I already have a parent folder (A) with all the tokens created. This is for a marketing activity launched last month. What I want to do is CLONE that parent folder (A), and all its tokens and programs, for a new activity next month (B). There is no way to do that? 

I'm planning on:

1. Creating a new parent folder (B)
2. Cloning all the programs from last months folder (A)
3. Recreate all the tokens from (A) into (B) - but now at the program level instead of the folder, so they're cloneable for future use.

That's the only way?
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You would have to clone the Program and leave it in the same Folder.

Usually I drop everything into the Program Level unless I have common tokens across all Programs.
Scott_McKeighe2
Level 5

Christine,

The missing piece in this is a 'child folder' that's nested underneath the parent folder you have. That child folder will inherit the tokens you've set, and can act as the container for your new programs. 

That hierarchy would look something like this:
  • Marketing Activities
    • PARENT FOLDER - [Set all your tokens here]
      • Webinars Folder - [Inherits tokens from PARENT FOLDER]
        • Programs inside - [Inherits tokens from PARENT FOLDER, Webinars Folder]
          • Smart campaigns, emails, et cetera
      • Whitepapers Folder - [Inherits tokens from PARENT FOLDER]
        • Programs inside - [Inherits tokens from PARENT FOLDER, Whitepapers Folder]
          • Smart campaigns, etmails, et ceterIn short, you could add a child folder, and put your programs inside of that
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scott, that's what I WANT to do - and have done for a previous activity. But the problem is that I can't clone a folder - so all the tokens have to be recreated.

My parent folder has the parent tokens, and all my child folders with inherited tokes. I want to clone the whole thing.

I have common tokens across these programs, that's why I dropped it into the parent folder. But looks like I'll have to do it at the program level instead.

0EM50000000SexT.jpg