SOLVED

Re: How to use a webhook to send form data to another Marketo instance?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to use a webhook to send form data to another Marketo instance?

Hi,

We have a smart campaign, "test send to instance", that is triggered based on fill out form = test_form. Under the flow tab, we added Call webhook where webhook = "webhook_send". Under the schedule tab, campaign status is active and Run each leave through the campaign flow = every time.

The goal is to send data from one Marketo instance (foo_instance) to another one (bar_destination) through the webhook_send securely after the form has been submitted. We were able to load test_form onto a web page and are able to see the data come into foo_instance successfully and when we view the Activity Log we can see the webhook_send being triggered with no errors. However, when we go to bar_destination instance, we do not see the lead created or updated.

How would we use the webhook to send data from foo_instance to bar_destination?

Webhook:

marketo webhook.png

Template does include the following:

1. firstName
  2. lastName
  3. email
  4. munchkinId (from bar_destination)
  5. formId (from bar_destination)
Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You're not using the right field names. Use the SOAP names.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SanfordWhiteman

You're not using the right field names. Use the SOAP names.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After switching from REST to SOAP field names, I was able to get this to work properly. In review, I found this to be a flexible solution as the webhook can be added to any Smart Campaign, but would you say this is secure enough when sending data to another instance?

SanfordWhiteman

Define "secure."

Form posts are SSL-encrypted. They don't require authentication. So this is the same as any Marketo form post, security-wise.

Reliability-wise, it is subject to significant restrictions relative to form posts straight into the other instance, as you can't execute 100s of thousands of webhooks (but could post hundreds of thousands of forms, i.e. if you get a hacker's attention).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Security wise, I wanted to make sure it was encrypted and it sounds like it is same as other form post. In terms of the number of hooks, this will be the only hook that we implement. This is only a temporary solution as we will eventually move to a single instance.

mani9694
Level 1

Hey  /guys,
Is there any option in Marketo to 
ignore the SSL verification when calling webhooks, so that I can test it using development endpoint ?
Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

No, it's not, but you can send to a plain-text http:// endpoint instead.

Linnea_Schulenb
Level 1

Hey there, 

Also attempting to send a form ID via a webhook, not to a separate Marketo instance however. I'm hoping to make this a very flexible webhook, rather than create one per form - is there a way to use a token for the form id? 

SanfordWhiteman

There's no built-in token for the Form ID. The {{trigger.name}} is the Form Name for a Filled Out Form trigger, and it's a good practice to embed the ID in the Name anyway.

SanfordWhiteman

Also please change your profile to use a real name, as recommended by Community Guidelines.