SOLVED

Re: How to switch to a newly created template for an existing landing page or email

Go to solution
Francis_Vanderb
Level 2

How to switch to a newly created template for an existing landing page or email

So, Marketo's recommendation is to have a maximum of 500 emails or landing pages linked to the same template:

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/email-marketing/general/email-edi...

It says: CAUTION

While there is no hard limit, once an email template is used by over 500 emails, re-approving that template after an update could result in performance issues. We recommend that once an email template has 500 emails associated to it, to create a new template.

I'm having that performance issue now, when I want to reapprove an edited template that is linked to hundreds of landing pages or emails. This takes ages and it also creates a draft for all those hundreds, making a mess and confusion of the existing landing pages or emails that my team made. 

So Marketo suggest to create new templates, so that the counter restarts at zero. We have some very complex structures for webinars for example. Many emails, many landing  pages, many flows. So what we mostly do is make a clone of an existing program and change the details of it referring to the new webinar.

But how can we link that cloned webinar to the new LP or email templates?
The template is guided, so there is not way to select another template when cloning.

Marketo can not expect us to remake the whole program again from scratch, do they?

It seems they do not have a solution for their own recommendations.

Are there any solutions or workarounds for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: How to switch to a newly created template for an existing landing page or email

We can't switch templates on existing guided landing pages and emails or even while cloning them. I think the only way out here would be to re-create email and LP assets with the new template and delete the old ones from your template program as you'd not need them moving forward (if you feel otherwise, you can always clone the template program, and recreate LP and email assets tied to the new template there).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

We can't switch templates on existing guided landing pages and emails or even while cloning them. I think the only way out here would be to re-create email and LP assets with the new template and delete the old ones from your template program as you'd not need them moving forward (if you feel otherwise, you can always clone the template program, and recreate LP and email assets tied to the new template there).

Francis_Vanderb
Level 2

It's a pity that we should call this the accepted solution.😎

Could we perhaps have at least, when changing the template have to option to NOT create a draft for all emails and landing pages that were based on the changed template?