How to structure a URL to allow Marketo contact information to pre-populate on a non-Marketo landing page

brianmcgann
Level 2

How to structure a URL to allow Marketo contact information to pre-populate on a non-Marketo landing page

Hello, I am looking to create an email in Marketo which will direct users to a non-Marketo landing page. I would like the user's information to pre-populate on that non-Marketo landing page. How do I structure the URL to do this?

I have a custom field called "Customer ID" in my Marketo database, and that field comes from the 3rd party that is hosting the landing page. They maintain these records in their database, and each record has this Customer ID information. So the Customer ID needs to be part of the URL. I'm just not sure how it should be structured to work properly. Below is how I set it up as a test, and it did not work (note, this is just a snippet of the URL):

r=@{encrypted_customer_id}

I suspect that what needs to change is simply the ampersands/brackets into whatever Marketo uses to get this to work. Can someone advise? Marketo support claims it can't be done, but I don' t think they understood what I'm trying to do. 

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How to structure a URL to allow Marketo contact information to pre-populate on a non-Marketo landing page

A Hidden field or a visible field? The answers are different.

I suspect that what needs to change is simply the ampersands/brackets into whatever Marketo uses to get this to work.

A URL uses standard key=value query parameters; the key and value are are arbitrary. There is no special Marketo syntax required in the URL.

Marketo support claims it can't be done, but I don' t think they understood what I'm trying to do. 

They may or may not be right. It’s not clear why you’re mentioning this is an “encrypted” Custom ID. Are you expecting the form, or the Marketo platform, to decrypt the value before storing it? What kind of encryption does it use?