Re: How to set up Lead Partitions

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to set up Lead Partitions

We have several Lead Partitions and each Lead Partition has only one Workspace.

We have an assignment rule in the Default Lead Partition to push the Leads to the correct partition based on a field we called "Workspace Name".

Issue1

When we try to import a Lead to PartitionA but it already exists in PartitionB we get an error message:

"Lead exists in another lead partition in your Marketo account - contact your Marketo admin."

This is somewhat acceptable as there is no assignment rule on PartitionA but would expect the system to automatically create new Leads in the desired partition.

Issue2

When we import a Lead to the Default partition and the Lead already exists in PartitionB the Lead in PartitionB gets updated (with the incorrect values) instead of creating a new Lead in PartitionA based on the assignment rules. This is obviously a serious problem.

Workaround

Load the Leads into the desired partition by sending the email addresses to a Temp field than do a data value change to update the email addresses.

Any suggestion how to fix the issue?

Do assignment do not work for manual imports?

15 REPLIES 15
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

First of all, it's a best practice to do all of your lead partition assignments/routing using custom smart campaigns (within a central program in the default workspace) - and forgo the "assignment rules".  This allows you to define additional logic that may be necessary for your instance.

Issue1: This is expected behavior.  A lead cannot exist in more than one partition (in addition to the default lead partition - where all leads are stored).  If you need workspace A and workspace B to share leads across their workspaces then allow both workspaces access to both lead partitions.  And yes, Marketo will create the lead within the partition that the lead first entered - as long as the lead doesn't already exist in another partition.

Issue2: The lead in the default partition is the same lead that exists in Partition B.  The lead in PB is just a reference to the master lead in the default partition.

Take a look at the presentation I (and Ashleigh Davis​) gave at Summit last year:

Best Practices for Operating Your Marketo Environment Across Multiple Workspaces and Lead Partitions

Sessions – The Marketing Nation Summit, April 13-15, 2015 – Marketo

Josh_Hill13

The lead routing should be a central program inside the Default WS with access to ALL partitions.

Your Assignment Rules in Admin should mirror this system or just route to Default.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, realize this is some time ago now but would love to be able to watch this presentation, does someone know where I can find it?

Since the link doesn't work any more.

Take a look at the presentation I (and Ashleigh Davis) gave at Summit last year:

Best Practices for Operating Your Marketo Environment Across Multiple Workspaces and Lead Partitions

Sessions – The Marketing Nation Summit, April 13-15, 2015 – Marketo

Dan_Stevens_

Hi Sanna - It's a shame that Marketo doesn't keep an archive of past Summit presentations - especially since a lot of the content is still relevant.  I can send you the presentation deck in a private message.  You need to first follow me.

Harish_Munagala
Level 1

Hi Dan, can you share it with me as well? I just followed you. Thanks!

Harish

Renee_Sullivan
Level 1

Hi Dan

Can you also send the presentation to me.. I just followed you.

Thanks

Renee

Josh_Hill13

Dan_Stevens_

Hi Renee - are you sure?  I don't have the ability to send you a PM.

Renee_Sullivan
Level 1

Hi Dan

I am following you.

Renee Sullivan

Business Analyst

Renee.sullivan@valeant.com<mailto:Renee.sullivan@valeant.com>

908-927-1147