How to see Munchkin code results?

Nerea_Eguia1
Level 3

How to see Munchkin code results?

Hello, we have added the Marketo Munchkin tracking code into our page. When I go to the Web Page Activity Report in Analytics I have the following doubts: 

+ We have different workspaces in our instance, how do we know in which one we should look at?

+ Does thisreport show both information about anonymous visitors and known visitors? 

I have another question regarding munchkin code as well: is there any basic text about this code that we should be adding to our privacy policy?

Thank you very much!

9 REPLIES 9
Tracey_Bartz1
Level 5

Re: How to see Munchkin code results?

You can setup the report to show either anonymous or known visitors: Display People or Anonymous Visitors in Web Reports - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation . Probably you'll want to save two versions of the report: one for anonymous and one for know. 

In the admin section of Marketo where you found your Munchkin code, there is an option to choose the workspace that it should apply to. But please note that workspaces and partitions are different. Partitions are what divide the people in your database into separate areas. Workspaces only divide up your assets. It is possible to have multiple workspaces with a single person partition in which case all the same people are available to all workspaces. 

I would recommend that you read through this article Understanding Workspaces and Person Partitions - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation  and then this one https://developers.marketo.com/javascript-api/lead-tracking/configuration/  paying particular attention to the "wsInfo" row of the table that talks about how munchkin functions when multiple partitions are in play. 

There is no standard privacy policy language provided by Marketo because it is up to your legal team to determine what needs to be disclosed. 

Nerea_Eguia1
Level 3

Thank you so much for your quick reply Tracey. 

Firstly, how can we save both versions? 

In our case, we have the following scenario: 

- We have different worskspaces that are meant to be independent instances (different people will have access to their own workspace).

- We have a single partition. Even if they are not "sepparated" each person is related to the several workspaces, therefore, we filter targeted people via smart list.

- Each workspace has a main website that needs to be tracked. 4 websites in total.

Now my questions are the following: 

+ For now, I can see that there is a single Munchkin code available. Is there any way we can create different codes with its own ID?

+ We have a general workspace, if we can only have one single code, we could make it apply to that general workspace however, if we only have one partition, that means that we will see every people's activities regardless of their workspace? Because we would have mixed data then  

Thank you so much again!  

Nerea_Eguia1
Level 3

Hey Tracey, 

Sorry for insisting, is it possible that you could take a look at the question that I came up with after reading your very useful answer? 

Thank you!!!  

Tracey_Bartz1
Level 5

To save a new report with unique settings just click on report actions and choose "Save As" then give the new report a unique name. 

If you only have one partition, then yes, all visitors to your four sites will be in the same partition and will be visible to all workspaces. This is advantageous if you have people who visit multiple sites: you'll have one view of that person's activity on all your sites (assuming you get them cookies on each domain). You'll need to use filters and constraints in your smart lists within each workspace to identify the people who have visited a particular site. 

The alternative approach to keeping the people separate would be different partitions and creating intentional duplicates in each partition which can cause major headaches and lead to messy data. 

Other articles you might want to read: 

Munchkin Tracking Multiple Sites 

https://nation.marketo.com/community/product_and_support/blog/2015/10/15/using-munchkin-on-multiple-... 

Nerea_Eguia1
Level 3

However, Tracey, after taking a look in Marketo, I believe that we can only use filters to identify the people that have visited a particular site in case we are just tracking known leads. Maybe I have to generate an specific report for this in the Marketing activities? 

On the other hand, after taking a look at the threads you sent and more documentation, a couple of questions came up that I would really appreciate to hear your opinion about:

+ The web page that we are planning on tracking has hundreds of thousands of sessions per month. I've read in the documentation that for this amount of traffic it's not recommended to track anonymous people. Should we follow this advice? Why is so? 

+ On the other hand, the website has many pages. When inserting the munchkin code, does it track only the activity on that specific page or on the whole website? 

After seeing reading more about the code I get the feeling that via the munchkin code we only can get information about who, which pages that person has visited and where that person is coming from in order to then automate a series of actions on that people. Am I getting this right? 

Thank you very much for reading and answering my questions. 

Best!!!! 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

+ The web page that we are planning on tracking has hundreds of thousands of sessions per month. I've read in the documentation that for this amount of traffic it's not recommended to track anonymous people.

It's fine to track. The new Munchkin is vastly more competent at higher volume.

+ On the other hand, the website has many pages. When inserting the munchkin code, does it track only the activity on that specific page or on the whole website?

Like all analytics libraries, Munchkin only tracks the pages it's loaded on. There would be no way for code that isn't loaded on a page to track that page's view/click activities!

After seeing reading more about the code I get the feeling that via the munchkin code we only can get information about who, which pages that person has visited and where that person is coming from in order to then automate a series of actions on that people.

I don't understand what you mean by "only" here: what is not covered by the who, the view, and the click?

Nerea_Eguia1
Level 3

Thank you very much for your answer Sanford:

I don't understand what you mean by "only" here: what is not covered by the who, the view, and the click?

With this question I only wanted to know if there is anything else that the Munchkin code can track and that I might be missing.

Thank you!

Tracey_Bartz1
Level 5

Nope, that covers it! 

Nerea_Eguia1
Level 3

Thank you so much for the Help Tracey!