SOLVED

How to provide option to opt out of Marketo Tracking cookie for website?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to provide option to opt out of Marketo Tracking cookie for website?

Hi,

We are trying to find a good way to provide site visitors the ability to opt out of the Marketo tracking cookie. What is the recommended way to stop/disable the Marketo tracking cookie from our website? We are exploring different options to provide a button to a user to allow for opting out of the Marketo tracking cookie.

The goal is to allow a site visitor an option to click a button/link and even if there is already a Marketo tracking cookie, to basically stop tracking any more page visits, clicks, etc for Marketo.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: How to provide option to opt out of Marketo Tracking cookie for website?

In case anyone is wondering, this functionality IS available in munchkin. However, it is only present in versions 152 and up. Currently our production munchkin loader file (http://munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin.js) points to v151.

To take advantage of the functionality, just switch your munchkin tag to use http://munchkin.marketo.net/munchkin-beta.js instead.

We slowly migrate production forward, so after a bit more time passes, you may see the production file  get incremented up. I'll make sure we update the docs to reference the version requirement.

With this in place, just add a query string parameter of "marketo_opt_out=true" to any page that uses Munchkin. This will add a "opt out" cookie (different than the regular munchkin cookie) for the user and will prevent all calls from happening. To opt a user back in, just add "marketo_opt_out=false" to any page that uses Munchkin.

Cheers,

Justin

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this in some documentation.  Does anyone know how to configure this?

Opt Out from a Specific Website

Even if a visitor doesn't choose Do Not Track for all websites, the marketer can offer them the ability to opt out from a specific website.

1. The marketer adds a link on the website to enable users to opt out from Marketo tracking. It's normally placed under Privacy Settings.
2. The user is directed to Marketo's opt-out page.
3. The user fills out a form (like the one below), adding the URL of the website they don't want tracking them, and clicks the link.

This activates JavaScript that tells Marketo not to track the user for that website.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This activates JavaScript that tells Marketo not to track the user for that website.

It doesn't, though.

The way to turn off setting the Munchkin cookie is to wrap Munchkin.init() in a condition that checks for another cookie that is only used for opting out (you always must persist something in the browser or else there's no way to remember across pages and sessions). 

Before running init() the very first time, you prompt the user to opt in or out and save that choice to a cookie with a far-distant expiration date. Check the value of that cookie on subsequent page views.

SanfordWhiteman

Raj Ruprai curious why you marked as Helpful something that expressly doesn't work...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford Whiteman​ I marked it useful because the information provided was helpful to better understand the items that the community has brought up and the feedback provided. If what i deem as helpful is confusing the community i can remove the "helpful", but i did want to provide a way to give feedback that both posts were helpful as we continue to explore options.

SanfordWhiteman

You might as well mark every post as Helpful using that logic, though.

Robert_Kelen3
Level 4

I'm wondering has anyone successfully done the reverse (marketo_opt_out=false)? If so, what's the trick. We were able to turn off tracking, but would like the user to be able to opt back in as well.

SanfordWhiteman

That doesn't really work because of the cookie domain problem. You can, however, manually set and manually delete the corresponding no-tracking cookie (mkto_opt_out).

Robert_Kelen3
Level 4

Is deleting that cookie something that can be embedded in a link, the same way the initial opting out was (marketo_opt_out=true)? Or does this become a developer-only type challenge?

SanfordWhiteman

It requires a small amount of precision JS, yes.