SOLVED

Re: How to prevent the same lead to use a different email address

Go to solution
ericgarcia
Level 2

How to prevent the same lead to use a different email address

Hey everyone,

I am hoping to get some help on this issue. If anyone has encountered this before and has figured out a way please let me know. The issue I am having is that a lead will submit their contact information twice with the same name, phone number but a different email address. Example below: 

ericgarcia_0-1660251108508.png

Marketo pushed both of them into SF, I know marketo looks at email only. Is there a way to solve this issue? I am fairly new to Marketo so any help would be great!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

First, that’s not even the same phone number (from a string standpoint)! It could be normalized to the same string by removing punctuation, but right now they’re not the same.

If you want to dedupe and merge on a Phone field, it’s possible with the assistance of a custom webhook.

• create a custom Phone field (because the system Phone field can’t be used directly)
  • add a triggered Smart Campaign to mirror the Phone to Searchable Phone
  • call the webhook whenever someone is created
  • webhook loops back using the Marketo Get Leads REST API endpoint to find a matching person, then calls the Marketo Merge Leads endpoint

Note you must do this before both are in SFDC. Marketo can merge one SFDC-Marketo synced person and one Marketo-only person. But not two synced persons.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

First, that’s not even the same phone number (from a string standpoint)! It could be normalized to the same string by removing punctuation, but right now they’re not the same.

If you want to dedupe and merge on a Phone field, it’s possible with the assistance of a custom webhook.

• create a custom Phone field (because the system Phone field can’t be used directly)
  • add a triggered Smart Campaign to mirror the Phone to Searchable Phone
  • call the webhook whenever someone is created
  • webhook loops back using the Marketo Get Leads REST API endpoint to find a matching person, then calls the Marketo Merge Leads endpoint

Note you must do this before both are in SFDC. Marketo can merge one SFDC-Marketo synced person and one Marketo-only person. But not two synced persons.

ericgarcia
Level 2

I am going to try this out! Thank you!