Re: How to Merge Duplicate Records

Traffic_Agency
Level 2

How to Merge Duplicate Records

I have almost 2,000 duplicate records that I need to merge into one record (with the most recent information). I'm not looking for a third-party tool, but am wondering what the process is to manually merge records into one?

Is there a way to merge the two together to maintain the activity log of both records?

5 REPLIES 5
Traffic_Agency
Level 2

I was able to find out how to merge records but am getting an error message everytime I try to merge saying that it "Failed".

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Without knowing why the merge failed it's hard to advise you. Do you have anymore detail other than failed? Do you also have Salesforce.com and are the duplicates there, too? If so, it might be less error-prone to do the manual merging there.

Traffic_Agency
Level 2

I spoke to Support and they mentioned that it is because our Salesforce instance is not currently synced. We aren't able to connect to Salesforce at this point so we are trying to figure out a workaround. Any ideas?

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Was your Salesforce instance previously synced? Does Marketo see these people as Salesforce leads and contacts? If so, I believe that when you try to do a merge, Marketo invokes the Salesforce merge function to do the job. Hence your error and only Marketo Support would be able to help here.

Is it deliberate that your Salesforce instance is not synced or is this a problem you are trying to resolve?

Traffic_Agency
Level 2

Yes, the Salesforce instance was previously synced so, as you mentioned, Marketo identifies them as leads and contacts. That's why the merge isn't working. Thanks for your help!