Re: How to Map SFDC Standard Lead Field (Lead Status) on Conversion to Contact?

Paul_Su2
Level 3

How to Map SFDC Standard Lead Field (Lead Status) on Conversion to Contact?

I want to map the Standard SFDC "Lead Status" field value upon conversion to a SFDC Contact. I realize that it's not possible to map a Standard SFDC Field like that directly and only can be done for Custom SFDC Fields.

I've had my SFDC Admin create a corresponding SFDC "Custom" Field on Contacts for "Lead Status." Now the question is how to map that - I was thinking to synch up the SFDC LEAD Standard Field "Lead Status" to a newly created SFDC Lead Custom Field "Lead Status" (whether through some type of workflow or apex trigger or something to make sure these two fields are always in synch realtime) and then I can then map the SFDC Custom Lead Field to the SFDC Custom Contact Field.

Or if there's something more simple/straightforward that would be great too - as I'm sure there's a couple different ways to do this. In the end the whole goal is to directly map over that "Lead Status" field when a SFDC Lead is converted.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Paul,

Marketo fields can have a one-to-many relationship with SFDC fields, so I think the easiest thing would be to have your field in Marketo mapped to one field on the Lead object, and one on the Contact object.  This would need to be done through support, but it can be done.

John

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi John,

Double mapping the fields is necessary, but not enough. If one does not do what Josh recommends below, the values will be lost on conversion from lead to contact. As the contact timestamp in SFDC will be the most recent, it will also empty the fields in Marketo.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

The easiest thing to do is use SFDC field mapping to link the two fields. This partially depends on if the values in each picklist are the same, or if you intend for the Contact Status to always be set to a certain value on conversion, or the last value Lead Status had.

If you do this, I do not believe you need to do what John says unless Marketo doesn't realize the linkage.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Paul,

To complement Josh's answer, in SFDC, you go to setup -> Customize -> Leads -> Field and then press the "map lead fields" that is at the top of custom fields.

You will not need to map standard fields, they already are mapped.

BTW, this is also something that you need to do when you install Marketo Lead Management and Sales Insight packages in SFDC.

-Greg

Paul_Su2
Level 3

Hi Greg, that "Map Lead Fields" functionality only works for mapping a Custom 'Lead' Field to a Custom 'Contact' Field. As "Lead Status" is a Standard SFDC Lead Field it does not show up as a field I can map in that manner.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Paul,

Correct, but if you create a contact field just named "Status", then il will automatically be mapped by Marketo with the lead status field. NO need from Support help.

Now, you will have to create Marketo smart campaigns to set values on this field just after conversion. Typically, when a contact is created though conversion, it will either be added to an opportunity or not, or it might be mapped to a customer account, etc... You will be able to intercept these values and set the contact status accordingly.

The alternative is to create 2 custom fields for status and map them and get rid of the std Status one (not compatible with Marketo revenue cycle though).

-Greg