Re: How to import existing email newsletter with just HTML code?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to import existing email newsletter with just HTML code?

First off I am not an HTML expert by any means. I am trying to import this pre-made newsletter into the Marketo Design Stuido by copying the HTML source code from the newsletter, and pasting it into Design Studio (I've read this could be done). However, the final product does not look anything like our newsletter. Are there additional steps I need to take? Is there another route I should take to import our existing newsletter?

Your help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
TS
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you copy the HTML from your newsletter do you right click on the page, say view source, and copy the code?

What I would do from there is create a new email from a blank template, open the email in the editor, go to Email Actions > HTML Tools > Replace HTML and paste the code you copied in there (overwrite any pre-existing code).  Should render just fine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick update on this - while doing the above will work no problem for a properly coded email template, that web page your are trying to import to an email is not a layout I would recommend using in email format.  It really is more of a web page-size, which is why it's probably not really translating through to the email editor.  You might want to cut some of the code out and only use the content in the right-column DIV.  Do you have someone who is code savvy who can help with that maybe?

Have you tried going to http://templates.marketo.com/ and just importing a tested/working template to your Marketo instance?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Nate! I've tried the exact first steps you mentioned and the format / layout did not appear close to our pre-made version. I will try sizing the page down a bit and see if that solves the issue. 

Thanks,

TS 
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Or ask the designer to size it to 600px wide or to "email specs" Also check that the CSS is in line.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Josh - good point.  I did notice that the 'right column' DIV was, by itself, 700px across, so I agree it'd be good to slim it down, even from there, and that should really help with the template issues.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fixed issue by re-sizing, and consolidating the CSS into the HTML. Thanks for your help!