SOLVED

Re: How to ensure every email sent is delivered to a single email address

Go to solution
Alex_Baumgarten
Level 2

How to ensure every email sent is delivered to a single email address

Hi Marketo Community.

What I'm looking to do violates everything I know about the best practice. However, I'm wondering if it is even theoretically possible in Marketo.

We have an executive at our company who wants to be included on any and all email the first time the email is sent. This means he will receive every single email our Marketo instance puts out so he has it on record. While this is easy for batch sends, triggered sends, especially sends for web content and nurtures,  would be much more difficult to ensure the email address is added to.

To make the challenge more difficult, we also have a fair number of targeted nurture programs that send at the same date and time as well as emails that incorporate dynamic content.

Based on anyone's understanding, is this even possible? Currently, I think this will be a large undertaking. But even after this is done, due to rules set up in Marketo to prevent spamming addresses, I wonder if the person in question will even receive all the sends or if most of the emails will be blocked in an effort to protect the IP Adress. On the flip side, if it does get through, I wonder if the massive amount of content will trip spam filters on our internal servers and ultimately hurt our email's deliverability, especially on the company's domain.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The only built-in feature that will accomplish this is the BCC-all address, which you can have turned on for your account at (I believe) no additional charge.

However this means that every single email, not just one per batch send but every email in a batch, will be mirrored to your BCC address. It's typically used for actual regulatory compliance. Not for micromanagers.

In order for all emails to be received by your mailserver, your IT will certainly need to do some whitelisting. That's hardly the problem, though. The real burden is deduplication, which you specifically don't wantin a regulatory environment but which I assume would be wanted here. You'd need to pre-process all emails to store and forward only one email oer campaign run.  It's all possible but not without technical effort. Depends on how much you want it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

The only built-in feature that will accomplish this is the BCC-all address, which you can have turned on for your account at (I believe) no additional charge.

However this means that every single email, not just one per batch send but every email in a batch, will be mirrored to your BCC address. It's typically used for actual regulatory compliance. Not for micromanagers.

In order for all emails to be received by your mailserver, your IT will certainly need to do some whitelisting. That's hardly the problem, though. The real burden is deduplication, which you specifically don't wantin a regulatory environment but which I assume would be wanted here. You'd need to pre-process all emails to store and forward only one email oer campaign run.  It's all possible but not without technical effort. Depends on how much you want it.

Alex_Baumgarten
Level 2

This is great to know. Thanks Sanford.

Do you know what "Every Email ina batch" means? For example, If we send a batch email to 200K people with no dynamic or unique content, does that mean 200K emails will be delivered to the BCC address? If not, What if the email has a token in the copy or dynamic content. Would the batch send then trigger multiple sends to the BCC address for every unique version of the email in that instance?

Also, and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what do you mean by a "regulatory environment"

Kevin_Weisenber
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Alex,

Yes all 200k will be sent to his email which makes this not a very viable solution. The BCC feature was designed more for record keeping if legal requires a copy of all sends to be maintained. You can send it to a separate email inbox that your exec monitors and work with your IT department so that only one is kept but that is all custom on your email server. This is the deduplication that Sanford was mentioning in his response.

Alex_Baumgarten
Level 2

Thank you for the clarification, Kevin. It looks like I've got some more digging to do with our IT team.

Thank you all for your help!

SanfordWhiteman

but what do you mean by a "regulatory environment"

Meaning when you must maintain everything, in as near as possible to a WORM (write-once, read-many) setup as required by regulators. Nothing can be deduplicated in that case.