Re: How to create a Dynamic Age group segmentation

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to create a Dynamic Age group segmentation

I am creating an age segmentation with 11 age buckets using date of birth as the smart list field. I wrote it out based on between dates, but that will need to be updated every year. Is there a way to get it to automatically put people in the correct bucket? What exactly would it look like? The pic is attached.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

agesegmentation.png

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Carol,

Try using:

• birth In Past 25 years and Birth date not in Past 18 years for the first segment
  • Birth date in past 30 Years for the second (the not in past 25 is not necessary, they will have been captured by the previous segment)
  • Birth date in past 35 years for the third segment

-Greg

EDIT :

As the birth date will never get updated, the segments will not recompute. So try these in smart lists and update a field. Then you will be able to create the segments based on this field.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have  a Not in Past selector:

pastedImage_0.png

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Carol,

Yes, you are right. You will need a first "Under 18" segment to capture the very first group.

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

But again, I think the segment will not recompute as the date of birth will never change, so I would use a intermediary field.

-Greg

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I believe someone else has solved this on the forum.

I think this would work better as smart lists and batches and to re-run this once a year.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Josh,

Once a year is probably not enough. If I am born on April 8th and you compute it today, (April 7th), I'll appear 1 year younger for almost a year

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Marketo has a bug with the way dates are used in segments. They call it "not supported" but it's really a feature they should have.

Basically, if you use In the Past or In timeframe constraints, the segment doesn't work. I learned the hard way after creating an Activity Timeframe segment using a last activity timestamp. After testing, I noticed people were't switching segments properly.

See more info: https://nation.marketo.com/message/22851