SOLVED

Re: How to capture hidden field UTMs while showing HTML for returning visitors

Go to solution
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

How to capture hidden field UTMs while showing HTML for returning visitors

When we hide forms for returning visitors, we lose the ability to capture UTM parameters in the hidden fields. This creates discrepancies in conversions when we look at Marketo numbers versus Google Analytics. Is there a way around this so that the UTM parameters still get picked up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Use the KV HTML Auto-fill code here:

https://codepen.io/figureone/pen/jOWVZMg

You need the FormsPlus library from the HTML pane plus the JS in the JS pane.

It's actually better than the standard Auto-fill as you can fill from mutiple sources. I recommend switching to it exclusively.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman

Use the KV HTML Auto-fill code here:

https://codepen.io/figureone/pen/jOWVZMg

You need the FormsPlus library from the HTML pane plus the JS in the JS pane.

It's actually better than the standard Auto-fill as you can fill from mutiple sources. I recommend switching to it exclusively.
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Hi Sanford,

We implemented this as instructed but are seeing something unusual. The below screenshot shows the fields as "mkto_UTM_Source" and "mkto_UTM_Medium", but there should only be one "_" between mkto and UTM. The second underscore after "UTM" isn't part of the field name, and I suspect is the reason why the source and medium values aren't actually being added to the fields. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 2.20.48 PM.png

I mentioned this to the developer that is assisting with this, thinking he had mistakenly added that extra underscore, but he sent me these screenshots showing he hadn't and wondered if somehow they were getting added.  

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 2.25.54 PM.png

 Does this make sense, and do you know where those might be coming from? The parameters don't come through on our test leads, and this is what I assumed was the culprit.

SanfordWhiteman

Marketo SOAP field names (the names used on forms) can never have spaces. Make sure you’re using the SOAP name — you can export all your fields and look in the SOAP column.