SOLVED

Re: How to add group email address in a smart campaign's smart list

Go to solution
Satnam_Singh26
Level 2

How to add group email address in a smart campaign's smart list

Hello, if I'm adding a group email in "Email Address" filter in the smart list the affected leads are not getting updated.

Is it even possible to use a group email address instead of a single recipient address?

Satnam_Singh26_1-1661311699291.png

Satnam_Singh26_0-1661311557096.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Do you mean a mailing list/distribution list address?

Marketo will certainly send to such an address (though it's not recommended because tracking is then impossible at the individual level). But it cannot, by definition, have any idea what the members of that list are.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman

Do you mean a mailing list/distribution list address?

Marketo will certainly send to such an address (though it's not recommended because tracking is then impossible at the individual level). But it cannot, by definition, have any idea what the members of that list are.
RBlackwell
Level 2

So what happens? They see a 'Dear [default value]', and the clicks and opens are not tracked? Or does Marketo create a new entry for mydistributionlist@company.com and attribute all the opens/clicks to that?

SanfordWhiteman

All opens and clicks across all recipients are tracked to the single Marketo person, because from Marketo's standpoint there aren't multiple people.

Of course you could send a separate email with tracking off to anyone you know represents a list. But then you get no tracking at all unless they fill out a form as their individual address (if applicable).
RBlackwell
Level 2

Thanks for the response Sanford.

I am happy not to get tracking - let me explain the scenario.

We would like to include a group address to the smartlist so that internal staff can see the emails we are sending to clients.

We do not want to send internal staff tracked emails as they may forward to their clients (and therefore cause cookie confusion).

So my question is if we include 'Email address =mydistributionlist@myfirm.com'. (who doesn't exist as a record on the database) in the smartlist for the send..

a. I am assuming the recipients in that group address would see 'Dear [default value]' for personalisation for this send?

b. would the clicks/opens be logged anywhere or does Marketo not track contacts if they do not have an entry in your database?

Any other tips on how to resolve cookie confusion if internal staff forward tracked emails gratefully received!

SanfordWhiteman

You can't use Send Email with people who aren't in your database. Period.

You can use Send Alert with "to other emails" which conveniently also does not send tracked links.