Re: How to add emoji in Marketo email subject line? Did Marketo support for all browsers and mobile versions.

Narasimha_V
Level 2

How to add emoji in Marketo email subject line? Did Marketo support for all browsers and mobile versions.

emoji in Marketo email subject line

16 REPLIES 16
Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Re: How to add emoji in Marketo email subject line? Did Marketo support for all browsers and mobile versions.

I don't know of a native way in Marketo to do it if there is one, but you can literally copy/paste Emojis into your subject line from websites like https://getemoji.com 

HOWEVER --- I do NOT fully know the implications from a support perspective. Things like Outlook, Apple Mail, etc., may interpret and render the unicode value of the emoji differently so I would definitely test heavily and/or see if there are any resources online that can better outline how emojis are supported by email browers and OSes.

I would guess you'll be ok, but would absolutely do some quality testing with litmus or email on acid or something to properly understand the scenarios. 

Narasimha_V
Level 2

@Chris Wilcox

Thank you for your quick response, we already try this method but its not working.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

It may depend on WHICH emoji you're trying to use as well. In my quick testing before I replied, I had no issue copy/pasting and sending a test email with an emoji in it... 

Which character are you trying to use? If it's a super specific emoji the support broadly may be low which would likely result in just a blank rectangle showing up instead of the character, is that what's happening?

Narasimha_V
Level 2

I used the  but not populating.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

You know what, you're right. Just checked again, it's showing in the UI, but NOT in the production email send. Weird.

The only one I've done before was with a unicode emoji (Unicode emoticons ) and that worked fine. I just tested that again too and it worked again, approved in the asset and sent in a test send no trouble. So maybe the answer is that Marketo only supports unicode emojis. 

Nichole_Trobar1
Level 3

Yup, pasting will not work, you have to create a token first.  Try this: https://blog.teknkl.com/yes-you-can-use-emojis-in-marketo-subject-lines/ 

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

Very interesting. All makes sense given that the symbol I've used in the past was part of the unicode set. Thanks for sharing!

Matt_De_Palm1
Level 1

Re: How to add emoji in Marketo email subject line? Did Marketo support for all browsers and mobile

Hi Nicole, 

I've saved my q-string to a text token {{my.wineglass-emoji}}. Q-string is =?utf-8?Q?=F0=9F=8D=B7Marketo?=

So the subject line looks like this "[Subject Line]{{my.wineglass-emoji}}".

But the subject line both Marketo and webmail looks like this "[Subject Line]=?utf-8?Q?=F0=9F=8D=B7Marketo?="

What am I missing? Is it a different token type that should be used?

Thanks!

Matthew De Palm
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: How to add emoji in Marketo email subject line? Did Marketo support for all browsers and mobile

@Matt_De_Palm1 ,

based on what I can see, I'm guessing it is because you've got an extra 'Marketo' in your Q-string

When I used the magic form to generate the Q string for a wineglass I get

=?UTF-8?Q?=F0=9F=8D=B7?=

Maybe try that?

Cheers

Jo