Re: How does work the test stream action of an engagement program?

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

How does work the test stream action of an engagement program?

Hello,

I trying to test streams of an engagement program. I read the Marketo Doc & some posts but I don’t find the answers of all my questions.

I tested with a lead but I received no email.

1. Does the “test stream action” work when the engagement program is set “Off” in the setup?
  2. Can I test it if I use smart campaigns to move people from a stream to another stream rather than “transitions rules”?
  3. What is the expected result when I click on “run cast” after choosing a test lead? Should I receive immediately the content or should I wait the cadence?
  4. I suppose the test lead must be an engagement program member and then qualified to move between streams, right?
  5. During a test, could a lead reach out communication limits?

Thank you in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Hey Vincent,

I believe the reason that nobody responds to this question is not that the people don't know how Engagement Programs work, but rather that nobody uses the "Test Stream" function. To be honest, I wasn't even aware it existed.

Therefore I can't answer any of your questions, but here's what I would do: Just setup your Engagement Program like you normally would, and yes, don't use Transition Rules, but Smart Campaigns instead, activate your program and send a test person into it. You might need to wait as long as your transitions and schedules take, but I don't see any other way to test an Engagement Program.

To your questions 4 and 5: Yes, the test lead must be an Engagement Program member and yes, they fall under the restrictions of the Communication Limit.

Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Michael is absolutely right, I am sure this functionality is not very widely used. I have done so once quite a while ago, but the key limitation is that the person needs to be a member of the engagement program and an actual email will be sent. So Michael's suggestion actually works equally well or maybe even better. Before you add your live audience I would enter yourself as a single test record. I would consider shortening my timelines on all processes to simulate the transitions etc in a bit shorter time than your real program would allow. Once approved, set the timings back to standard, remove yourself from the program members and add your live audience.

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Hi @Katja_Keesom 

Thank you for your additional recommendations, I appreaciate.

Ok, I'll do like that. I'll indeed reduce the cadence because I have in my streams, one which is monthly cadence.

Best Regards,

Vincent

Vincent_Ferugl1
Level 2

Hi @Michael_Florin ,

Thank you a lot for your reply and recommendations.

Ok, I will activate the program and do a test like for a default program using a smart list with my email.

N.B. I'd like to accept your answer as the solution but there is an error when I click on the button.

Best Regards,

Vincent