How do you hide Marketo files from search engines?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you hide Marketo files from search engines?

We have a bunch of whitepapers hosted by Marketo hidden behind gated Marketo forms. I was doing a search for one of our pages and realized that Google has indexed one of these files. I suspect there are others indexed as well.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hide the file from indexing by search engines?

We have "index, nofollow" on the form page and "noindex, nofollow" on the thank you fulfillment page.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do you hide Marketo files from search engines?

You can add the meta tag for not indexing directly on the page. 
<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />

Edit: Just reread your question. I am actually not sure what the best way is to handle with files like PDFs. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Murtza. Will this be more effective than using the WYSIWYG noindex? In which instances should I use the direct meta tag?
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can always set a Page to that in Settings, however, the files do not have that directly. I believe PDFs may have this ability as well. Check the Properties.

I suspect one of your pages was set to index, follow.

You may also be able to add a "robots.txt" to your subdomain or to google webmaster tools. Not sure if this will work if you do submit that file to Google.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use Google Webmaster tools & remove it from the index. 

Remember Noindex/Nofollow is merely a request. It doesn't prevent the bots from doing it anyways. 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Adam and Josh, can always count on you guys to know the answers.