SOLVED

Re: How do I use the 'Member of Engagement Program' Filter?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I use the 'Member of Engagement Program' Filter?

I've been trying to look this up to confirm I'm doing it right and have only gotten conflicting answers on here, and none of them are considered 'SOLVED'.

Here is a screenshot:
0EM50000000SXW8.jpg
Is this correct if I am trying to filter OUT anyone currently part of the Dealer Nurture program? I want to be sure that when this runs each week, people who are already members won't get grabbed up again, and likewise, when creating a new program, I want to be sure that people included aren't already part of other programs. This language is very confusing so I want to be sure if it's right or not.

FYI, this is how I was trained to do it, but I just don't know if I believe it's correct.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

From what I understand from this community discussion, you want to use the Member of Program filter instead to exclude members of the Dealer Nurture from your campaign.

Member of Program is FALSE
Program is Dealer Nurture Engagement Program.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Valerie_Armstro

From what I understand from this community discussion, you want to use the Member of Program filter instead to exclude members of the Dealer Nurture from your campaign.

Member of Program is FALSE
Program is Dealer Nurture Engagement Program.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand the opposite from the discussion you shared, which is why I'm confused. The guy answering says:

"Member of Engagement Program: True.
           Program is not [Engagement Program Name]"

And then more follows that I don't understand. I think your suggestion makes the most sense, but I want confirmation.
Valerie_Armstro

I've done a test of this and it looks like the filter I suggested will work.  You may want to recreate this for yourself to ensure the filters you are using are working correctly. 

Create the following three smart lists
  1. Smart List I - All members of Dealer Engagement Nurture
    • Member of Program = TRUE,  Program is Dealer Engagement Nurture
  2. Smart List II - Members of your email send
    • For this smart list, put all of your criteria/filter logic here that you plan to use for your email send, including the "Member of Program = False, Program is Dealer Engagement Nurture" filter
  3. Smart List III - Find any leads that are in both lists
    1. Add two Member of Smart List filters ("Member of Smart List = Smart List I" and "Member of Smart List = Smart List 2").  If there are any results in this smart list, I would dig deeper to investigate why they are appearing as a filter could be off in either smart list or the lead is tagged incorrectly. 

From my test, I have no leads appearing in this list, so my assumption is that the Member of Program = False, Program is Dealer Engagement Nurture should suppress the members of your engagement program for your email send. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, I tested as well and found that my original setup seems to work. FALSE and 'is not' the engagement program I want to be sure the leads DON'T already belong to.

Bascially, I checked some other already in place campaigns, and found that when I do it that way, there is only 1 new lead ready to run through next week, and she currently isn't in the program. Perfect! But if I do it your way, I get several hundred people, and randomly picking one, he was already in the program. Make sense?

This is why I feel I need more official Marketo feedback.
Valerie_Armstro

I think I may have misunderstood you.  Are you wanting to prevent the email from sending out to all leads who are already members of an engagement program (including the Dealer Engagement program), or just prevent leads in the Dealer Engagement program from receiving the email?

I'd definitely reach out to Marketo Support for assistance if you haven't already, they are always a huge help.  Be sure to post back here about the solution, too.  I want to make sure I understand this correctly too 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to prevent emails from sending out to all leads who are already members of an engagement program (including the Dealer Engagement program). I don't want people who are already members to be included twice over, or to be included if they're already a part of another program.

So does that change your thoughts on this?

I prefer to avoid support unless I can't get help here. I also like to see just how useful this is, as support always asks if I tried this first, even though I find thread after thread all the time of issues never solved, and it makes me very uncomfortable.
Anonymous
Not applicable

A smarlist may be your best bet. That or preceding logic filtering those leads. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is part of a smart list. I am asking how to correctly use this particular filter...in a smart list.
Valerie_Armstro

To prevent any lead who is already a member of an engagement program from receiving an email, you will need to specifiy in the filter all active engagement programs you have running that you want to suppress.  For us, all of our engagement programs have "Engagement Drip" at the end of the name, so I could create a filter that would say Member of Program = False, Program contains Engagement Drip, and this will suppress leads currently in any of our engagement programs.  If you don't have a naming convention in place, you will have to select each engagement program you have running in order to add to the filter.

If I understand correctly what you mean by not wanting people who are "already members to be included twice over" is that you don't want anyone who is already a member of that engagement program receiving the email again if they have already received the email?  If that is the case, I would use a Not Was Sent Email filter and specify the email you are sending (and any additional versions of that same email, if they exists). 

I understand where you are coming from regarding Support.  Particulary if I submit a web case, I feel like I sometimes get information back from them with community articles that I have already looked through myself and have not been able to understand or find the solution I am looking for.  I'd definitely call Marketo Support for this issue, as all the program vs. engagement program language can get confusing after a while.  However, you can grant them access into your instance if you choose to do so and they can help you navigate through the issue there or over a Go-To Meeting.