How do I track my Adwords with Marketo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I track my Adwords with Marketo?

I am about to start a Google Adwords campaign, which will refer to a Marketo LP. How can I track that?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Re: How do I track my Adwords with Marketo?

Build your adwords URL appropriately:

URL builder - Analytics Help

From there, create a static list for all of your sources, medium, term, content, name, etc that you're going to use.

When someone visits your page, the UTM parameters will be shown.

Example:

http://www.example.com/ad.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=banner&utm_term=TestTerm&utm_content=Vers...

Now, put in a workflow for Visits Web Page and then Querystring = one of your variables, so:

Email

Banner

TestTerm

Version1

ThisIsAnExample

Put each of the leads into one of the lists.  Even if their an anonymous lead, you should be able to add it to the list.

You can also look at a Web Page Visitors report and generate one for Known Leads and for Anonymous leads.

Robb Barrett
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hugo, we track this by hidden fields on your Marketo forms. You can set Trigger campaigns based on the form being completed with certain values in the Querystring. More info can be found here in this Discussion: UTM Parameters as Hidden Fields - not coming through

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

But that will only track the lead if they fill out the form.  If you want to track the lead regardless of form fill, the way I mentioned works best: visits web page.

Robb Barrett
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

This may require more than a Visited Web Page+Querystring.

The real question Hugo Bissonnette​ is what do you want to track? If you do a search here, there are several options for handling adwords

• URL params=yes
  • Program per AdGroup?=maybe
  • Program per Page=probably
  • Program per Asset=maybe?