SOLVED

Re: How do I create an engagement program or smart campaign that goes past a year and is not effected by the data retention policy of 90 days or 25 months?

Go to solution
kristalklug
Level 2

How do I create an engagement program or smart campaign that goes past a year and is not effected by the data retention policy of 90 days or 25 months?

Hi.
I have an engagement program that was effected by the 90 day retention policy. Here's the policy: https://nation.marketo.com/t5/knowledgebase/marketo-activities-data-retention-policy-under-the-hood/....

Is there anyone out there that has created an engagement program or a smart campaign that has gone past a year and has/was not been effected by the 90 day or 25 month retention policy? 

Basically, I want a running program that never ends unless I turn it off, but from what I have read in the Marketo documents this is not possible. For example, I have an engagement program, where if a lead has received emails 1-4, then change the lead's program status from "in program" to "not-in program", so that they can re-enter the engagement program using a smart campaign. But, I realized the smart campaign is using "was delivered email 1-4", which is effected by the 90 day policy. With this in mind, all the leads who changed from "in program" to "not-in program" will be changed back to "in-program" after 90 days.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Re: How do I create an engagement program or smart campaign that goes past a year and is not effected by the data retention policy of 90 days or 25 months?

I think this question goes beyond Engagement Programs or Smart Campaigns. This is about translating Activity History - which is subject to pruning - into something that isn't.

And that can be various things, e.g. List Membership or Field Values. So when a person receives Email #1, have an additional flow step in that send campaign that adds them to List #1. Or change a field value "Last Email Received" to "Email #1". Or have a flow step that copies system.date into the field "Last email received date". And then you can use "Is Member of List" or "Last Email Received Date" as filters in your nurture setup.

View solution in original post

Ankit_Kumar3
Level 2

Hi @kristalklug ,

As per the 90-day retention policy 'was delivered email' will not exist, so that filter will not work in the smart campaign after 90 days.

For this you can use a workaround:

1. First create a static list in the engagement program 'Received email 1-4'

2. Create a trigger smart campaign that can add the member in this list on receiving email 4th, and in the same campaign, you can add the program membership flow.

3. And now in the smart campaign again you can use the member of this list (Received email 1-4) instead of the 'was delivered email' filter to add the members again in the engagement program.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Michael_Florin
Level 10

I think this question goes beyond Engagement Programs or Smart Campaigns. This is about translating Activity History - which is subject to pruning - into something that isn't.

And that can be various things, e.g. List Membership or Field Values. So when a person receives Email #1, have an additional flow step in that send campaign that adds them to List #1. Or change a field value "Last Email Received" to "Email #1". Or have a flow step that copies system.date into the field "Last email received date". And then you can use "Is Member of List" or "Last Email Received Date" as filters in your nurture setup.

Ankit_Kumar3
Level 2

Hi @kristalklug ,

As per the 90-day retention policy 'was delivered email' will not exist, so that filter will not work in the smart campaign after 90 days.

For this you can use a workaround:

1. First create a static list in the engagement program 'Received email 1-4'

2. Create a trigger smart campaign that can add the member in this list on receiving email 4th, and in the same campaign, you can add the program membership flow.

3. And now in the smart campaign again you can use the member of this list (Received email 1-4) instead of the 'was delivered email' filter to add the members again in the engagement program.

kristalklug
Level 2

Hi Ankit,
Could explain what you mean in number "2."? 
Does it mean that once a lead has received email 4, they are added to this static list, and to change their status from "in program" to "not in program"...
Also, in number "3." do you mean I should create another smart campaign that says if in 'Received email 1-4' list then add to engagement program?

Lastly, will the same lead (who went through the engagement once) be added again into the "received email 1-4' list? And so, wouldn't the lead be listed twice and could possibly get back to back emails?
Basically, what I am getting at is... what happens after the lead has gone through the engagement program once? Are they listed twice in the static list with one status being "not-in program" while the other status is "in-program"? 

Thanks for your help.
Kristal