SOLVED

How can leads update their email address

Go to solution
Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

How can leads update their email address

How, if at all, do you enable leads to update their email addresses on file in a way that associates the new email address with the existing record? Is done it via a separate portal that feeds to Marketo? Does a staff member manually update Marketo records if/when the person replies to an email asking that their contact info be updated? Do you not worry about it and the person just has to subscribe with their new email address (creating a separate record in Marketo)? Curious as to what others are doing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How can leads update their email address

Running into this same issue that I am trying to think through.Did you end up building something or finding any examples you could share here? 

As mentioned above, all you need is a second Email type field — Self-Service Email Address — and present that on the form instead of the system Email Address.

The default value of Self-Service can be "N/A" (it needs to have a value so the Data Value Changes can be triggered). Set the default when someone is first created.

Set up a Smart Campaign that triggers on Data Value Changes to the Self-Service field. In the flow, use Change Data Value to set the Email Address = {{lead.Self-Service Email Address}}.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

Why would you need a separate system?

All you need is a Marketo form with a New Email Address field and a flow step to copy the value.

Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Ah; this is why I asked the question!

Do you display their current email address to prevent someone from accidentally changing someone else's record (like if they had been forwarded an email and clicked on a link)? Any other considerations?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, you'd want to show them whose email address they'd be changing.

It's a tiny bit tricky UX because you have to distinguish "That's me, but my email address has changed" from "That's not me."

Beth_Massura
Level 8 - Champion

Got it; thanks! Do you happen to have any examples?

jessewilliams
Level 1

Hi Beth, 

Running into this same issue that I am trying to think through.Did you end up building something or finding any examples you could share here? 

Thanks

SanfordWhiteman

As mentioned above, all you need is a second Email type field — Self-Service Email Address — and present that on the form instead of the system Email Address.

The default value of Self-Service can be "N/A" (it needs to have a value so the Data Value Changes can be triggered). Set the default when someone is first created.

Set up a Smart Campaign that triggers on Data Value Changes to the Self-Service field. In the flow, use Change Data Value to set the Email Address = {{lead.Self-Service Email Address}}.

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

You may also want to consider to send an email to the new email address for the confirmation and only update the email address field when someone confirm. This will also help you to be in compliant with double opt-in.

Regards,
Amit