SOLVED

Re: How can I send 1 email with dynamic content blocks for products they have and products they don'

Go to solution
Ronn_Burner
Level 4

Re: How can I send 1 email with dynamic content blocks for products they have and products they don'

There are a few different locations that may require the || in this scenario.

I will test but it's always easier to get as much info prior to really messing things up. 🙂

In this first section below do I simply add the entire #if( !$lead.dMSTrialDateTime.isEmpty() ) content block duplicating the Subscribed block below or do I use the double pipe || and add the Trial content mirroring the Subscribed content for lines 1, 2 and 4 below?

#if( !$lead.dMSSubscribedDate.isEmpty() )
#set( $caldMSSubscribedDate = $convert.toCalendar(
 $convert.parseDate(
 $lead.dMSSubscribedDate, 
 $ISO8601WithSpace, 
 $defaultLocale, 
 $defaultTimeZone 
 )
) )

I do believe this portion is correct, right?

#if( $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSSubscribedDate).getHours() >= -24 ) || $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSTrialDateTime).getHours() >= -24 )

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

@SanfordWhiteman 

I have tested this a few different ways but I can't seem to find the proper coding sequence to make it work.

Obviously utilizing only this will not work with the #if and #set VTL block for $lead.dMSSubscribedDate.isEmpty()  ) and !$lead.dMSTrialDateTime.isEmpty()  ) written.

#if( $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSSubscribedDate).getHours() >= -24 ) || $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSTrialDateTime).getHours() >= -24 )

I also tested using the entire $lead.dMSSubscribedDate.isEmpty()  ) and then followed that with the enitre !$lead.dMSTrialDateTime.isEmpty()  ) VTL block - which did not work.

Finally I attempted to combine them into a single block and edited using the || indicated below - which also does not work and returns the error shown in the image below.

Can you please correct my missteps?

#if( !$lead.dMSSubscribedDate.isEmpty() || !$lead.dMSTrialDateTime.isEmpty() )
#set( $caldMSSubscribedDate = $convert.toCalendar( || $caldMSTrialDateTime = $convert.toCalendar(
 $convert.parseDate(
 $lead.dMSSubscribedDate || $lead.dMSTrialDateTime, 
 $ISO8601WithSpace, 
 $defaultLocale, 
 $defaultTimeZone 
 )
) )

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The line

is a syntax error because you have mismatched parentheses. The correct parens are

#if( $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSSubscribedDate).getHours() >= -24 || $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSTrialDateTime).getHours() >= -24 )

Finally I attempted to combine them into a single block and edited using the || indicated below

This syntax does not work in Velocity, it might  be a valid JavaScript null coalescing sequence but it’s broken VTL:

$some.function( $param2 || $param2 )

I have no idea what you were expecting this use of || to do, it’s broken too:

#set( $caldMSSubscribedDate = $convert.toCalendar( || $caldMSTrialDateTime

Also, there’s no image inserted in your post.

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

@SanfordWhiteman  can you help me solve this?

I have no idea what you were expecting this use of || to do, it’s broken too:

I'm just trying to figure out where the "any" or "or" (| |) belongs so I simply mirrored and added all "Trial" syntax on the lines where the "Subscribed" syntax was present. What I was expecting was the fact I know this works individually and I know this works in this fashion in the (&&) syntax I hoped by simply adding the |  | would result in the same output. I was wrong. That's why I'm here. I'm trying. At least by trying I am discovering what does not work.

Individually I know this is right for DMS Subscribed...

#set( $ISO8601WithSpace = "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" )
#set( $defaultTimeZone = $date.getTimeZone().getTimeZone("America/Los_Angeles") )
#set( $defaultLocale = $date.getLocale() )
#set( $calNow = $date.getCalendar() )
#set( $ret = $calNow.setTimeZone($defaultTimeZone) )
#set( $calConst = $field.in($calNow) )
#set( $ISO8601 = "yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss" )
#set( $ISO8601DateOnly = "yyyy-MM-dd" )
 $convert.parseDate(
 $lead.dMSSubscribedDate, 
 $ISO8601WithSpace, 
 $defaultLocale, 
 $defaultTimeZone 
 )
) )
#if( $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSSubscribedDate).getHours() >= -24 )
You now have access to PRODUCT X!
#end
#end

And I know this is right for DMS Free Trial...

#set( $defaultTimeZone = $date.getTimeZone().getTimeZone("America/Los_Angeles") )
#if( !$lead.dMSTrialDateTime.isEmpty() )
#set( $caldMSTrialDateTime = $convert.toCalendar(
 $convert.parseDate(
 $lead.dMSTrialDateTime, 
 $ISO8601WithSpace, 
 $defaultLocale, 
 $defaultTimeZone 
 )
) )
#if( $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSTrialDateTime).getHours() >= -24 )
#end
#end

What I wanted to do was utilize the "any" or "or" (| |) syntax so I added the "Trial" after the "Subscribed" and  | | .

This is what my vtl code looks like at the top - as you can see where my confusion lies in that the first #if references "subscribed" only. I would think I would have to include some code also scanning for "Trial" conditions. But where and how does that fit in?

$convert.parseDate(
 $lead.dMSSubscribedDate, 
 $ISO8601WithSpace, 
 $defaultLocale, 
 $defaultTimeZone 
 )
) )
#if( $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSSubscribedDate).getHours() >= -24 || $date.difference($calNow,$caldMSTrialDateTime).getHours() >= -24 )
#end
#end

Also, there’s no image inserted in your post.

ss-marketo.jpg

Ronn_Burner
Level 4

@SanfordWhitemanJust wanted to follow up - I can take it to the community posed as a new post question if you prefer.

Can you help me solve for combining the "Product X Trials" with the "Product X Subscriptions" using "any" or "or" conditions (utilizing the double pipe ||)?

Intellectually, I can see this is an easy function within velocity based on everything else I've done here as well as how seamless the use of the "and" (&&) function was to utilize.

The challenge is writing un-broken code. I assumed that in every line $lead.dMSSubscribedDate and $caldMSSubscribedDate appeared (the first #if and #set lines 9-17) would require the | | followed by the trial fields $lead.dMSTrialDateTime and $caldMSTrialDateTime.

I really appreciate and grateful for the help. Thank you.

Joke_Van_Essche
Level 3

Re: How can I send 1 email with dynamic content blocks for products they have and products they don't have?

Ronn Burner Thanks for this topic!   

Sanford Whiteman‌ Is it possible to do the same with program membership instead of a boolean field? So: If Member Status = Registered in Program 1, then "welcome to session 1". If Member Status = Registered in Program 2, then "welcome to session 2". 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: How can I send 1 email with dynamic content blocks for products they have and products they don't have?

Unfortunately no. Program membership is not a direct property of the lead.

If you used program membership to manage a segmentation, then the segment is a property of the lead (so could be used in personalization) but it's not updated in absolutely real-time.

Or have a field on the lead that's used as a mirror for their program status.