How are people using progressive profiling forms?

Alexis_D_Alba1
Level 5

How are people using progressive profiling forms?

Hi there,

I'm looking to implement a progressive profile form, but I want to figure out where it would make the most sense. Where's a common place to have a

progressive profiling form? I'm thinking of enabling progressive profiling on our webinar registration form, because that's a form where people would return to fill out more than once. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: How are people using progressive profiling forms?

There are plenty of docs here and on the web about this. Yes and Yes. Just do it.

Alexis_D_Alba1
Level 5

I appreciate your response, but I'm not questioning whether to implement it-- my question is what's the ideal form type to enable this functionality. I want to be sure that the progressive profiling form I create is as effective as possible. 

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's hard to say a form ​type​ exactly, it's more about the types of questions you think will be attractive to the user and will seem like a no-brainer to fill out since you're no longer asking them for their core info.  Once you're using ProgPro the form doesn't even need to look like a form, it could look like an anonymous survey (even though the results are actually tied to their lead).  You could always show one new question on your home page, for example, and have it just be a yes/no button.

Alexis_D_Alba1
Level 5

That makes sense-- thanks! I was trying to think of a form where we would have repeated visitors.  I think a webinar registration form is a good start.

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

A form without time-based data.  Typically, people score a lead on BANT - Budget, Authority, Need and Time to Purchase. If you use PP, answers to those questions will be frozen in time. Suppose you ask me when I'm looking to purchase and I tell you "12 Months." That answer will never change because you'll never ask me again. Six months later, I fill out a form and now I get an Authority question, which I answer. I now go back through your scoring program with a 12 month purchase timeframe.

Because of this, I don't use PP.  Instead, I wrote a little piece of code that evaluates a lead records to determine the right questions to ask.

Let's say you visit my page and I don't see a cookie or I don't see that my required fields are filled out.  You get the Full Form.  I also Cookie you so you get a pass from answering to forms again for X number of days.

Because think about it, let's say you gate your content.  If I fill out a form to get a PDF, then I want another PDF why do I need to fill out a second form?  My answers didn't change.

I would only use PP when you have a lot of required, non-scoring demographic questions that you don't need all at once and you're confident you'll get return form-fills. You may only have one chance to talk to this lead so you better ask the right scoring questions, but at the same time don't ask the same thing over and over just to get some lousy PDFs.

Robb Barrett