Hidden Fields not pulling through

GPover
Level 2

Hidden Fields not pulling through

Hi All, 

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to all things Marketo. 

I'm currently trying to add some hidden forms to our brochure download form on our website so I can track where the customer came from prior to them filling in the form. E.g. did they originally come from Google Ads, Facebook or affiliate sites. 

I've added the hidden fields to the form. Previously I had the parameter name as Source and subsource but while trying to fix it myself I changed them to match the UTM tracking wording in the URL. I'm not sure if that is correct at all. 

GPover_0-1716908530226.png

When I've tested this with either of the parameter names it doesn't so any additional columns in the lists created from the form. I'm assuming that the additional fields I've added would automatically generate a new column on the list? And this is where I would check if the hidden fields are filling in properly. But I can't see any as of yet. 

My Dev team have added in some code but I wasn't sure if the name needed to match what I have as my Parameter name? So I'm not sure how best to advise them. 

GPover_1-1716908781850.png

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've read a bazillion articles but haven't found anything to help so far!

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Hidden Fields not pulling through

Query parameter names don’t include delimiters like ? and &! They’re the names alone, like utm_medium and utm_campaign. (This isn’t a Marketo thing, it’s true of all URLs.)

When I've tested this with either of the parameter names it doesn't so any additional columns in the lists created from the form. I'm assuming that the additional fields I've added would automatically generate a new column on the list?

You add the columns to the view yourself. Marketo won’t add custom columns for you — that would mean all views would contain hundreds of columns.

And this is where I would check if the hidden fields are filling in properly. But I can't see any as of yet. 

For  debugging form fills on the server side you first look at the details of the Filled Out Form activity in the Activity Log. That shows all the fields that were present on the form.

The columns in a Smart List view show the person’s current values. Those aren’t necessarily the same as the values submitted with their last form, because (for one example) Block Field Updates might have prevented the field from changing. The values on the form are always shown in the Filled Out Form details.

For debugging form values on the client side, you can use the Dev Tools inspector or other more robust methods.

My Dev team have added in some code but I wasn't sure if the name needed to match what I have as my Parameter name? So I'm not sure how best to advise them. 

GPover_1-1716908781850.png

Please don‘t have your dev team add anything to your pages. They are very unlikely to understand the Marketo Forms 2.0 event model and will just add confusion. Simply filling hidden fields from query parameters does not require custom JS. Many advanced requirements do require custom JS, but not this one.

GPover
Level 2

Hey,

That's worked. Thank you! I've now created a custom view in the static list and I can see the two columns for Referral Source and Referral Detail which is great. They are all coming through from the web form fine. 

My next issue is that I'm trying to add these elements as a token to a Change data value to sync to Sales Force. However when I use {{lead.Referral Source}} or {{lead.Referral Detail}} these flag as not recognised tokens. What tokens do I use or can I even use those two hidden fields to update Sales Force?

GPover_0-1716994861923.png

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

A good way to find out the exact token names is to go into the Rich Text Editor (in an email or LP, doesn’t matter) and browse for tokens.

(From your screenshot, the setup seems cumbersome by the way. Why are you passing data to SFDC in this way? Might have been better to talk about your requirements here to get a better design.)

GPover
Level 2

Hi,

Thank you, I've found the correct tokens now. 

The current process is inherited from previous staff who set it up a while back. This was before COVID and so we've lost a lot of internal knowledge in the meantime. If you have any better suggestions please let us know. We are trying to push source and subsource of soft goal conversions through to a customer's sales force profile (in this case for a brochure request) to better understand the impact of our top-of-funnel activity and ongoing customer journey.

Any advice or suggestion for improvement is very welcomed! 

SanfordWhiteman

What happens to those semicolon-delimited fields once they enter Salesforce? Are they expanded into a Custom Object?

If not, seems like a cumbersome way to store only 4 pieces of data, since on the Marketo side those first two Boolean parts are devoid of meaning. You should have 4 independent fields, each with a clear meaning.