SOLVED

Re: Help with Velocity Scripting

Go to solution
ckowalczyk
Level 2

Help with Velocity Scripting

Hi,

I've been trying to build out one Velocity Script Token that has a fairly simple equation:

License_Group.Total_Called_in_last_30_days - License_Group.Number_of_Paid_Licenses - License_Group.Number_of_Unpaid_Licenses

Here are the screenshots of how it looks when it's in script:

ckowalczyk_0-1721846042492.png

ckowalczyk_1-1721846059503.png

ckowalczyk_2-1721846073135.png

But when I reference the token in the email, it seems to always come out like this and will not populate when using a test record I know should populate it:

ckowalczyk_3-1721846119777.png

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

None of those. You only work with $License_Group__c inside the loop, otherwise it does not exist in the Velocity context and will be null.

So closest to the 3rd one, but any reference to $License_Group__c inside the #foreach.

(Honestly not even sure where you’d get the idea $License_Group__c could be used. That’s not a variable Marketo declares for you. Only the list is declared.)

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SanfordWhiteman

Please use the Syntax Highlighter (“Insert/Edit Code Sample” on the button bar) to insert code so it’s readable. It’s not possible to work with a screenshot.

ckowalczyk
Level 2

Hi Sanford - sorry but I don't follow. The velocity code is in a token. I don't see a “Insert/Edit Code Sample” on the button bar. How/where would I accomplish this? 

SanfordWhiteman

Right here:

SanfordWhiteman_0-1721930119602.png

ckowalczyk
Level 2

Sorry, but I don't see that anywhere within the token area where the script has been added:

ckowalczyk_0-1721934237853.png

What part of Marketo are you in where you see what you mention below?

SanfordWhiteman

Not in Marketo. Here on the Nation so we can read your code.

ckowalczyk
Level 2

Ahh ok cool, thank you! Here you go:

#set($totalCalled = $math.toNumber($License_Group__c.Total_Called_in_last_30_days__c))
#set($numberOfPaidLicenses = $math.toNumber($License_Group__c.Number_of_Paid_Licenses__c))
#set($numberOfUnpaidLicenses = $math.toNumber($License_Group__c.Number_of_Unpaid_Licenses__c))
#set($totalLicenses = $totalCalled - $numberOfPaidLicenses - $numberOfUnpaidLicenses)

Total Licenses: $totalLicenses
SanfordWhiteman

Something doesn’t add up here. $License_Group__c should be a list of objects, not an individual object. Create a new Email Script {{my.token}}. What do you see when you drag the field Number of Paid Licenses (SE) to the Script Editor canvas?

ckowalczyk
Level 2

This is what I see when I drag it over:

#set($totalCalled = $math.toNumber($License_Group__c.Total_Called_in_last_30_days__c))
#set($numberOfPaidLicenses = $math.toNumber($License_Group__c.Number_of_Paid_Licenses__c))
#set($numberOfUnpaidLicenses = $math.toNumber($License_Group__c.Number_of_Unpaid_Licenses__c))
#set($totalLicenses = $totalCalled - $numberOfPaidLicenses - $numberOfUnpaidLicenses)

Total Licenses: $totalLicenses$

${License_Group__cList.get(0).Number_of_Paid_Licenses__c}
SanfordWhiteman

That’s in line with what I was saying. You have a list of objects: $License_Group__cList. You have to loop (#foreach) over that list. You don’t have an object $License_Group__c unless you happen to use that as the loop variable.

#foreach( $License_Group__c in $License_Group__cList )
## $License_Group__c is set to each object in the list in turn
#end