Re: Help with Salesforce APP and Marketo

Courtney_King
Level 1

Help with Salesforce APP and Marketo

Currently, in our Salesforce ORG we use this tool. Long story short it creates a new lead in Salesforce using the old contact data keeping all related items to the contact on the new lead. 

This is causing an issue in Marketo where the contact record and data need to be merged back with the new lead. This process is very cumbersome, and we don't quite have the bandwidth to conduct the merges of the Marketo records? Is there any faster way to merge the contact and leads in marketo?

App Link:

https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N3A00000EFp8iUAD

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If the new lead maintained a copy of the original contact's Marketo Lead ID, then a webhook-compatible service could be used to automatically merge the new lead with the old.

Of course this requires both system prep and code.

Courtney_King
Level 1

I'm interested in learning more about this configuration. In Salesforce, there are fields that keep some old contact field information to enable the activities and related items to be reconnected to the new Salesforce lead. So I assume that we might be able to capture some data for this purpose as well. I'm a Saleforce admin so will have to work with my Marketo admin. 

Which platform would require code? Marketo? Also, what if contacts in Marketo were created initially as contacts only?

is there away you could explain in greater details around how to make something like this possible?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Which platform would require code? Marketo? Also, what if contacts in Marketo were created initially as contacts only? is there away you could explain in greater details around how to make something like this possible?

Sorry for the exceedingly long delay. I keep forgetting to finish this draft.

In a sense, neither platform (internally) would require code.

To flesh it out a little bit more, Marketo's REST API has a quite capable (not so say robust, but fine for this purpose) Merge Leads endpoint. You pass it a winning lead (the final lead after merge) and one or more losing leads, all identified by Lead ID. So if you had all the loser IDs in hand in Marketo, you could pass the winner to a webhook-compatible service, which then loops back in and merges them all into one.