Help! Triggering with tokens?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Triggering with tokens?

I've been scouring the internet and have not been able to find any help with this one (probably idealistic) task I have in mind.

My first question is - I saw that you can set up tokens for triggers ( {{trigger.Name}} ) but I'm not sure in what context I would use those? Does anyone have an example or can anyone tell me if I can use that in the body of an email?

My second question is - based on those trigger tokens, can I trigger a specific token to be used based on a specific link someone clicks on? Currently I have it set up so that a smart campaign has a flow step "if clicked this link, send EM1" which has a Token A and "if clicked this link, send EM2" which has Token B, and so forth. Is there a more straightforward way to trigger this data value?

Further info: The campaign I am running is for September webinars. I will send an email with all the webinars listed, and then I want to send a personalized follow up based on the link they click. So if they click on a link about Webinar A, I want the email to say "thanks for your interest in {Webinar A name} on {Webinar A date}. At a previous company, we used APIs to import dynamic data but I don't have that luxury here - any thoughts on how to do this?

Thanks - hope this isn't too confusing.

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Help! Triggering with tokens?

My first question is - I saw that you can set up tokens for triggers ( {{trigger.Name}} ) but I'm not sure in what context I would use those? Does anyone have an example or can anyone tell me if I can use that in the body of an email?

You don't really "set up" trigger tokens. These are specific tokens presented by the system in certain contexts: see Tokens for Interesting Moments - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Jason_Raisleger
Level 4

Hi Jennifer,

I think what you're trying to do could be done with custom objects, but would need someone more technical than me to confirm or deny that.

Otherwise, I would follow your logic on how you build that out. You will need separate emails for each webinar. Using your example:

Webinar Info

Webinar a = ABC Topic 07/27/18

Webinar b= XYZ Topic 07/28/18

Webinar c= 123 Topic 07/29/18

Email Links

example.com/webinar-a

example.com/webinar-b

example.com/webinar-c

Tokens

tokens.png

Also, what do you want to happen if someone clicks multiple links? Do you want to send an email for each webinar or just the first one?

One other thing you could do but probably wouldn't recommend, is to create two fields in your database:

String Field: Webinar Name

Date Field: webinar date

You could then create a smart campaign to write to those fields with whichever link is clicked. Then you only have to create one email and just reference those two fields. The issue being that those could be overwritten and only the latest link they clicked would show up in the email. Or you could block updates but then you could potentially not have the latest information.

Iryna_Zhuravel4
Level 8 - Champion Alumni

The simple but not the most elegant solution would be to create a smart campaign in every webinar program with the trigger "campaign is requested" and flow step "send email" with your webinar follow up, have all your webinar info in the program's local tokens, so every email lives in the webinar program and inherits all the webinar info.

Create one smart campaign with a trigger "Clicks link in email" and in the flow request campaigns from a specific webinar program based on what link they clicked.

As Jason mentioned, however, this will only trigger one email to go out, the smart campaign will execute the first choice in the flow step that matches the data on the lead.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

It's actually a bad idea to trigger emails on email clicks at all. Mail scanners (not just humans) will click these links, creating unwanted (and possibly multiple unwanted) emails.

You should be be triggering on a button click on the LP, which is a human interaction only.