SOLVED

Re: Help please - landing page not triggering in smart list

Go to solution
Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

The page can be automatically redirected quite simply without any action from the user.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

No. You need to read what I wrote about the race condition multiple times above. If you automatically redirect you are guaranteed to fail for the same reason. (And adding a sloppy/guessy timer is poor programming.)

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

You're definitely not guaranteed to fail if you use a "sloppy/guessy" timer, no matter how poor the programming is.

You can decide if you want a click or if you want the user to wait 5 seconds.. or you can spend over a day trying to shoehorn the Marketo tracking code. I know as a marketer and not a developer I'd just go with the option that works and spend my time doing more important things.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You're definitely not guaranteed to fail if you use a "sloppy/guessy" timer, no matter how poor the programming is.

If you don't understand the race condition at work here, and don't understand how fallible Munchkin tracking can be under some circumstances, you may think that's true.

The reality is that asynchronous programming requires thorough logic, not guesswork.  With a high guess like 5 seconds, yes, you will succeed 99% of the time, but always at the cost of 5 seconds of wait time.

With a correct synchronous implementation, you will succeed 100% of the time and redirect the user as quickly as 100ms, never making them wait any longer than is absolutely mandated by network and server conditions.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Sanford,

to add to your point, I usually feel safer to be guaranteed not to fail than not to be guaranteed to fail

-Greg

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

If you take the time to read the thread, you may learn a few things about the sequence of actions.

Nicholas_Manojl
Level 9

Yes, but if I read the whole thread I'd have to read all the red-herrings about program status, do-not-track, link tracking etc..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

I know Im pushing my luck when the form loads you can see the form field, is there an easy way to make it hidden?

Thanks

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Matthew,

You have forgotten the display:none

<form id="mktoForm_2190" style="display:none"></form>

To make it quicker, you can also remove the email address field from the form.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nicholas,

A colleague suggested this by creating a re-direct in admin, but this didn't seem to work out.