Re: Has anyone used the filter "update in the past" X number of days on a segmentation?

kristalklug
Level 2

Has anyone used the filter "update in the past" X number of days on a segmentation?

Hi. 
I have a segmentation that is used "acct promo open date" with the criteria "in the past 3 days". When I reviewed the segmentation, it looks like it's not updating with the most recent opened accounts. For example, in the past 3 days, only 6 new promo accounts have been opened, however, on my segmentation it is saying 12.

Does this mean that segmentation does not support logic "in past" or "before"?

Thanks in advance for the help.

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Has anyone used the filter "update in the past" X number of days on a segmentation?

Hi Kristal,

This is a known rule with segmentations: they don’t do ongoing “surveillance” of fields to detect when they move into certain date ranges/offsets. They act on the specific value of a field, today.

So yes, the criteria “in the past 3 days” will not be continually reevaluated. You would need separate Smart Campaign(s) to set a Boolean field, then segment on that field.

kristalklug
Level 2

Hi.
Could you give an example on how I would setup the smart campaign(s) using a boolean field?
Thanks a bunch for any help!

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Run a daily batch that qualifies people whose Acct Promo Open Date is in the past 3 days and flips the boolean to true. For everyone else, keep the boolean at false.

Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There was a great San Diego Marketo User Group last year about "hacking" segmentations. Unfortunately it looks like the recording isn't available. But they talked about how some features (like date in past) are not available to be used by a Segmentation, but by changing a field or adding someone to a static list, you can trigger a segmentation change.

Basically you need a smart campaign "listening" for your attribute to change, with a flow step to change a field value. Reference the field value in your segment. The segmentation will pick up the data value change on the field.

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor