Re: Has anyone leveraged Cookie Ids?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone leveraged Cookie Ids?

Hello Marketo Community,

I'm curious to understand if someone from the community could provide a use case and insights on how to retrieve Cookie Ids from a Marketo record.  I understand you can use this as a Lead Key in the API, and I am interested in this, but I am not entirely sure where to retrieve the Cookie Id.

Since this can be used as a Lead Key in the API, I'm curious for other user's stories around usage if Cookie Id is not available (I am assume this since support told me this..)

Thanks!
Edwin
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi Edwin

Can you be little more specific here on what you are trying to achieve by retrieving cookie ID for usage in the API? We have done couple of projects wherein we had success in leveraging the lead information from the cookie outside Marketo. Infact, we have a Marketo Wordpress plugin, which retrieves complete information from the cookie.

Regards
Alok

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Alok,

Thanks for your response!  Let me provide some context:
  • Currently we have a process where we have inbound leads created directly into our CRM and they are not managed and cannot be managed through a Marketo form.
    • This becomes an issue for our organization because we'd like to understand their behaviour on our website.  However, what occurs is the web activity lives on an anonymous record and the metadata for the person lives in the CRM and seprate Marketo record.
  • Solution in mind:
    • If it was possible to write the Cookie Id into a field when the CRM record was inserted (assuming it's possible to retrieve), we could use this as a join criteria between the CRM record and anonymous record and merge accordingly via the API (the assumes that it is possible to pull the Cookie Id from the anonymous record as well).
      • CRM Id (mktPersonId pulled) <-- Cookie Id --> mktPersonId
      • Using both mktPersonIds, we can call mergeLeads.

I hope this makes sense.  I'm curious, is your Marketo Wordpress plugin in-house or generally available online?

Regards,
Edwin
Alok_Ramsisaria
Level 10

Hi

Thanks for providing the details. You mentioned that in your current situation, an anonymous Marketo cookie is created, and it's details are in recorded in your CRM. Also, you mentioned that a separate Marketo record is created. How is this record created?
Can you drop me a line at alok@grazitti.com, so that I can share a feasible solution.

Regarding Marketo-Wordpress Plugin, it is available online at Marketo Launchpoint here. For more details, you can visit http://www.grazitti.com/

Regards,
Alok