Re: Google Analytics vs. MKTO Tracking

Anonymous
Not applicable

Google Analytics vs. MKTO Tracking

So I have run into issues with GA and MKTO Tracking not willing to work well together. I have had to turn off the MKTO tracking in order for things to work. With that being said it seems that when I turn off the MKTO tracking links i dont really get an accurate count on my CLICKS or CTOR. Does anyone know of a work around? Right now I am using GA to look at Users and Sessions to get an idea of how the email is performing specifically CLICKS and CTOR.

19 REPLIES 19
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

So I have run into issues with GA and MKTO Tracking not willing to work well together. I have had to turn off the MKTO tracking in order for things to work.

Not clear what you mean by this. Marketo click (Clicks Email activity type) tracking? Or Marketo pageview tracking?  What are you "turning off" and how?

There's no known conflict between Marketo click tracking and subsequent GA pageview tracking. You'll have to explain your setup in complete detail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue was that when i had both the GA tracking link applied to my links and the MKTO tracking links turned on when i would sends a test email or a received a copy of a live email i sent out and i would click on the links in the email it would send me to a error page. The only way to fix it was to turn off the MKTO tracking link option. I sued to have the same issue at my previous employer as well. When speaking to support i was told that there is an issue with having both applied to an email. I hope that is more clear?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angel,

Just to clarify, are you referring to using URLs with UTM parameters on them when you talk about applying GA tracking links to your links? If that's the case, you should still be able to click through on those links, even with the MKTO tracking link option enabled. Can you send over a sample URL perhaps to verify?

Thanks!

Drew

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

The issue was that when i had both the GA tracking link applied to my links and the MKTO tracking links

Like Drew said.. specific examples, please.

UTMs don't break tracking, if that's what you're talking about. If they did then there would be countless unhappy customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford Whiteman 2 (FigureOne)Drew Smith

Please click on this link and see what happens when i have the GA UTM tracking and the MKTO tracking applied to a link in an email:

https://www.screencast.com/t/RZHdGBvIXFon

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Angel,

Thanks for sharing that. Can you provide the destination URL, with the UTM parameters applied to it?

Thanks!

Drew

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very helpful, Angel.

The link works just fine when clicked natively, which you probably already knew.

I created a test email and added this URL to a link in the email to test. I sent a sample to myself without tying it to a lead and a sample tying it to a lead. Both samples worked properly. You can see a quick video of this test here.

Without knowing any more about your setup, I would check to ensure your email branding domain is set up properly. If everything is set up properly there, you may need to call Marketo Support and ask to escalate to a higher tier of support.

Always feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. You can always reach me at drew@leadmd.com as well.

Thanks!

Drew

Anonymous
Not applicable

Drew thank you so much for the help. How would I go about checking the email branding domain?