SOLVED

Google Analytics Showing mkt_tok and not utm Parameters from Email

Go to solution
Daniel_Johanse1
Level 2

Google Analytics Showing mkt_tok and not utm Parameters from Email

I put UTM parameters on my links in an email that went out recently, but Google Analytics is showing all the clicked-through URLs with the obfuscated /?mkt_tok parameter instead of the resulting UTM parameters. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Google Analytics Showing mkt_tok and not utm Parameters from Email

This is all happening on your webserver.  It's 301 redirecting the initial URL to what appears to be your "canonical" (i.e. more authoritative) URL, but it only retains certain query params.

So the URL:

https://www.worldanimalprotection.org.au/keepthemwild?utm_source=Marketo&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=tax%20appeal&utm_content=Prospect%20Conversion&id=G93A0620E02&mkt_tok=anything

Gets redirected to:

https://donate.worldanimalprotection.org.au/campaigns/keep-them-wild/?id=G93A0620E02&mkt_tok=anything

Only keeping the id and mkt_tok params, as presumably they were configured to be retained (again note this config is on your server, www.worldanimalprotection.org.au,  Marketo's not in the picture at that point).

If you go straight to donate.worldanimalprotection.org.au:

https://donate.worldanimalprotection.org.au/campaigns/keep-them-wild/?id=G93A0620E02&utm_source=Marketo&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=tax%20appeal&utm_content=Prospect%20Conversion&id=G93A0620E02&mkt_tok=anything

Then the query params are all kept. So it's very much about the www.server.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
SanfordWhiteman

The _mkt_tok isn't really an obfuscation (you may be thinking of the tracking code http://branding.example.com/abcdef123).  It should be appended to your URL, not replace it.  When you click on the links in your email, what do you actually see in the browser's location bar? I can almost guarantee that URL doesn't include your UTM params, thus why GA doesn't pick them up.

Daniel_Johanse1
Level 2

I may have been thinking of the tracking code when I said it was obfuscated, you're right. But as an example, in the Marketo email editor the link is http://www.maritzcx.com/five-cx-trends-shaping-the-b2b-landscape/?utm_source=marketing&utm_medium=em..., which changes to the tracking code when the email is actually sent, and then clicking through the email displays the full URL with the UTM parameters in the browser's address bar. However, the only results in Google Analytics for that page shows, as one example of many, www.maritzcx.com/five-cx-trends-shaping-the-b2b-landscape/?mkt_tok=long_string (but no UTM parameters).

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Bumping this discussion.

Anyone know how to properly add UTM parameters when sending emails so that it's picked up my Google Analytics?

Michelle_Tresem
Level 2

Have you figured out how to do this? I'm trying to figure out how to track my emails campaigns as at least coming from medium=email to help segment my data.

SanfordWhiteman

There isn't any inherent problem adding UTM params to your links.  I'm sure the majority (though perhaps not > 75%) of Marketo users do this. 

However, if there is unusual technology somewhere else in the mix, then theoretically the mkt_tok-enizing of the link (which is critical for clickpath tracking) could create problems.  The vast majority of the time such problems are actually with your webserver trying to further rewrite or interpret links and not expecting the mkt_tok.  Another set of problems come from links using mailto:, tel: or other protocols.

Can you please post:

[1] an example of a link exactly as embedded in the email editor

[2] the resulting link in your browser's location bar after clicking the link in a (non-sample) sent email

Michelle_Tresem
Level 2

I haven't tried manually adding the UTM parameters. I'm trying to avoid manually adding if at all possible. I just tried adjusting my default channel grouping in GA to see if I can tag that traffic as coming from medium=email. Will know in 24-48 hours if that worked. 

SanfordWhiteman

OK.  I'm not seeing what isn't working for you from a Marketo perspective.

You could treat mkt_tok=nnnn in the URL as utm_medium=email.

Alternately, you could check that the referrer matches your branding domain (click tracking domain), although I discourage relying on referrer esp. if you do not run HTTPS on your domain (Mkto landing domain or 3rd-party website).

Michelle_Tresem
Level 2

Oooh, that's a great idea for treating the mkt_tok as medium=email. I'll certainly look into that. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to get this to work Michelle? I'm having the same problem.