SOLVED

Re: Google Analytics & Marketo

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google Analytics & Marketo

Is there a checklist or basic resource out there on items to make sure we have our GA and Marketo linked properly? We want to be able to measure campaigns in both GA & Marketo as well as track landing pages in GA. Thanks! 
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There are three major ways to use lead info within a page:

• Embedding tokens directly into a JS function call: _ga.push( {{Lead.Salary_Level__c}} )
  • Embedding tokens into a JS object or JSON tag: leadDetails = { "Salary" : {{Lead.Salary_Level__c}}, "LastSale" : {{Lead.Last_Sale_Date__c}} } and then reference them: leadDetails.Salary.  I find this method easiest because you can put all your dynamic stuff in one part of the page and not have to worry about extra/missing curly braces all over the place.
  • Using a hidden form with prefill turned on.  Then you can read the values inside the onReady handler: MktoForms2.loadForm('a.example.com','XXX-YYY-ZZZ',999,function(form){ form.getValues() }).  This has the advantage that everything's already "packaged" for use in JavaScript, but the disadvantage that not all fields can be used in forms.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Meahgan, here's some info for GA and RTP integration:

Integrate RTP with Google Analytics - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

The way we track campaigns in GA is by using utm_campaign tags in all the ads. You can then see the campaigns in GA and use Events or Goals to measure performance.

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Masha Finkelstein​ you seem to be in the know: without the RTP add-on, is there a way to push Marketo info (via ID) to GA to enrich GA and do some widening dimension? I cannot seem to find a concrete answer on topic.

Thanks.

SanfordWhiteman

Cécile, I know you've been looking for this in a couple of places, but I can't put my finger on what's missing for you.

Obvs. GA gives you the ability to push a user ID as described here.  So that part is taken care of.

What remains is to figure out which Marketo field/variable you want to use as the ID, and whether that field is available in the browser to be pushed to GA.  The options are:

• The Munchkin cookie (_mkto_trk) value: this is not appropriate as an ID because every browser gets a different ID.  The ID is supposed to have a one-to-one relationship with the lead, whereas _mkto_trk has a many-to-one relationship to a given lead.
  • Marketo Unique Code/Unique ID: these are both quite reasonable and easy to get at from Marketo-hosted LPs.  From non-Marketo pages it's much more difficult.
  • SFDC ID (if you use it): similar to the Unique Code & ID, it's an appropriate variable, but you have to get it into your page somehow.
  • Email address: if your Marketo instance prohibits duplicates, this is appropriate as a unique ID (although it violates the GA warning that an ID should not be "personally identifiable").  But again, the main question is where you're reading it from.  If you cover every possible scenario where you'd know the lead then you can save the email in a cookie.  For example, send your links out with "&email=cecile@talend.com" in the query string -- this isn't necessary for Marketo & Munchkin's native tracking, of course, but it will give you a leg up on 3rd-party tracking.  And also capture the email when someone fills out a form. And so on.
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

thanks Sanford Whiteman​. no worries, I'm probably a bit slow!

I did understand that it's best to use Marketo ID as a key. The question that remains open for me is how do I perform look-up. As you know, you're able in GA to use some geo filters and a limited number of demographic filters. We would like to leverage on Marketo info to create some segments based on Industry and job titles. So how do I collect in GA the fact that Marketo ID 10002 is an IT Manager and works in Retail for instance? so that I can say in GA that 20% of the page unique visitors on my product A page are IT Managers. Does that make sense?

SanfordWhiteman

There are three major ways to use lead info within a page:

• Embedding tokens directly into a JS function call: _ga.push( {{Lead.Salary_Level__c}} )
  • Embedding tokens into a JS object or JSON tag: leadDetails = { "Salary" : {{Lead.Salary_Level__c}}, "LastSale" : {{Lead.Last_Sale_Date__c}} } and then reference them: leadDetails.Salary.  I find this method easiest because you can put all your dynamic stuff in one part of the page and not have to worry about extra/missing curly braces all over the place.
  • Using a hidden form with prefill turned on.  Then you can read the values inside the onReady handler: MktoForms2.loadForm('a.example.com','XXX-YYY-ZZZ',999,function(form){ form.getValues() }).  This has the advantage that everything's already "packaged" for use in JavaScript, but the disadvantage that not all fields can be used in forms.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just recently completed a project where I integrated Marketo and Google Analytics. I published an article and accompanying cheat sheet, both are available from Google Analytics-Marketo End-to-End Integration​ - I provide lots of examples and step-by-step instructions. I hope that will help all those looking for answers! 

Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Stephane Hamel

Hey Stephane! You were my tutor in one of the Web Analytics Certificate classes at UBC back in 2011. I recall your Digital Analytics Maturity Model which was quite ahead of it's time in those days.

Nice to see you here in the Marketo Community.

Smart idea using webhooks to trigger custom events in GA. You could pass anything that way - very flexible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Justin - I'm always amazed when I cross the path of one of the hundreds of students I have tutored or people I've met at conferences over the year.

Indeed, using webhooks allows you to do virtually anything, including sending back ecommerce transactions into GA (as my client wanted to do once a lead was closed). But trust me, getting all the right configuration was quite an endeavour as only bits & pieces were available and I couldn't find any complete examples - thus my cheat sheet!

Stéphane Hamel, MBA - "data is the raw material of my craft"

Digital Analytics Thought Leader – immeria.net, digitalanalyticsmaturity.org & gaAddons.com

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/shamel

G+: google.com/+StephaneHamel-immeria

Twitter: @SHamel67

Upcoming speaking appearances.

Your digital analytics are going nowhere? I've been studying digital analytics maturity concepts for years. Use the Digital Analytics Maturity Self-Assessment Tool (DAMSAT) to uncover your digital analytics practice strengths and weaknesses.

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

thanks Stephane Hamel​ for the Cheatsheet. I'll have a look at it!