Global Assets v. Local Assets

Carrie_Lawson
Level 4

Global Assets v. Local Assets

We have a lot of programs that contains eDMs, landing pages, and conversion pages.  We re-use many of these landing pages and conversion pages over and over again, but we might change some vergiage here and there for campaigns.  I know we can use tokens for switching out verbiage on an eDM pages when using a template in a program, but i want to start using more global assets to cut time out the creation of these.  Especially with us implementing the Engagement Engine and using Streams.  Saving time is always great.  I would like to be able to use global assets across my streams since there might be very little that is different when we communicate to one group or another and the offers could be used across the board.

The issue i run into is that we integrate with NS so our set up has to be a little different than those that use SFDC in order for Opportunities to automatically be created for us in Netsuite.  We use a smart campaign to trigger this and action is triggered by setting the progression status of a program to reflect "Success".  The name of the smart campaign is used as our lead source when the opportunity is created in NS.  This is the main reason why i currently need local assets so i can track if it was connected to the campaign and the lead can be sent to NS with an appropriate lead source listed on the opportunity.  

Re-creating each asset is very time consuming, especially to make sure that everything is connected to the new info and not the old after they are cloned. This makes it so user errors could be more common and analytics inaccurate if even 1 item is overlooked.  I would believe that using more global assets would be a better way to go and would be less time consuming, IF i can find a way to track what campaign sent them there.

We were using a form as a local asset to do this, but we ended up having to create a global form early this year because we found that when we had to make a change to the form it was really difficult to go into each program to make the change since we had so many.  I am trying to figure out if Tokens would be a better way (or could even be used) to trigger my smart campaigns or to make the connection between the program and a global asset being used.  So intead of re-creating the asset each time i can add the program to the asset being used instead. Is using Tokens the best way to make this connection so we can use more global assets? Is there something different that can be used that might be invisible and behind the scenes that we can use to track back to a program or campaign?  Are there other options that i can be considering for this instead of Tokens? Is using the global assets continuously like we are really the best practice for this?
Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Global Assets v. Local Assets

I recommend creating Program Templates where the assets are already in place with My Tokens. Then you can clone the Program and just replace the token values.

I do recommend using a Global Form because there's a tendency among marketers to just recreate the wheel or make adjustments based on a campaign, but that breaks the data flow! Create 4-5 main Forms for use. Your Program Template can reference it, then you just constrain by page name at the local level.