Geo Tracking for Lead Registration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Geo Tracking for Lead Registration

Hi,

I used to use ActOn Software, which had a very easy feature in the form settings to track lead IP and location info, which in turn could be added to lead registrations. This was very helpful for my Sales team to identify exactly where the lead was from for both lead qualification and routing.

Is there a similar feature to this in Marketo? I can't seem to find any information on the topic in the community or help docs and there is no intuitive way to find this in the application. Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Geo Tracking for Lead Registration

All of that information is tracked automatically for the cookied leads.

pastedImage_0.png

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Geo Tracking for Lead Registration

Jeff, check this very recent thread in which I discussed and demonstrated the addition of true geolocation (the browser's built-in geolocation function) to a Marketo form: How is 'Inferred Country' field set?

But be careful saying "exactly where the lead was from."  This is a misnomer whether you use Marketo's IP-based tracking or the browser's more exact geolocation.  IP-based tracking is broken by things as simple as traveling on WiFi, commuting on 3G/4G, or surfing a B2C site from work.  Even the more precise BSSID or exact GPS tracking still only tell you where the lead was when they filled out the form.  Ultimately, only the lead can confirm the location(s) from which they'd do business with you.

To paraphrase a great man, "It's not where you filled out the form, it's where you pay rent."