SOLVED

Forms to check if lead is pre-existing

Go to solution
Sarah_Bright
Level 2

Forms to check if lead is pre-existing

We are looking to use Marketo forms with two sets of users and need to be able to send new leads to one thank you landing page and existing leads to another landing page. The only way to check this in a form would be using the email address field. I do not know much about progressive profiling but is this possible? I am hoping to have a user visit a landing page, fill out a form with their email address, have the system be smart enough to see if they are in the database and if they are send them to a page and if they are not send them to a different one. Is this possible using forms?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Forms to check if lead is pre-existing

I do not know much about progressive profiling but is this possible?

It's possible, but it isn't related to Progressive Profiling.

Progressive Profiling ("ProgPro") is when you show only a max number of empty fields at a time to someone whose pageview/session is already associated with a known lead.

What you're talking about is the "Lead Lookup Form" concept, which involves performing that association in the first place for a session that starts out anonymous.

Describing it at a high level, a Lead Lookup Form is a Marketo form with just the Email Address field. When someone submits the form, a special Marketo page is repeatedly polled (say, every 100 milliseconds for up to 3 seconds) to see if the person was already in Marketo or if the form post created them in Marketo. The end user doesn't see this, of course, it happens under the hood. Then you can redirect them to their next page based on whether they're net new as of just now, or were an existing lead. You will need 

The Lead Lookup Form also has Known Visitor HTML enabled, because the session may already be known at the time they hit the page. In that case there's no reason to have them fill in their email address, you can take them directly to the "existing lead" LP.

You need a Marketo-savvy developer to implement the Lead Lookup Form but it's not difficult.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I do not know much about progressive profiling but is this possible?

It's possible, but it isn't related to Progressive Profiling.

Progressive Profiling ("ProgPro") is when you show only a max number of empty fields at a time to someone whose pageview/session is already associated with a known lead.

What you're talking about is the "Lead Lookup Form" concept, which involves performing that association in the first place for a session that starts out anonymous.

Describing it at a high level, a Lead Lookup Form is a Marketo form with just the Email Address field. When someone submits the form, a special Marketo page is repeatedly polled (say, every 100 milliseconds for up to 3 seconds) to see if the person was already in Marketo or if the form post created them in Marketo. The end user doesn't see this, of course, it happens under the hood. Then you can redirect them to their next page based on whether they're net new as of just now, or were an existing lead. You will need 

The Lead Lookup Form also has Known Visitor HTML enabled, because the session may already be known at the time they hit the page. In that case there's no reason to have them fill in their email address, you can take them directly to the "existing lead" LP.

You need a Marketo-savvy developer to implement the Lead Lookup Form but it's not difficult.

Sarah_Bright
Level 2

Thank you Sanford. I will look into this.